Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Conclusion: POF versus LWRC - help me decide

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Having said that I would go with an LMT MWS or SCAR 17 before either of the junkers you listed.
    Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I'm still shopping for one. Just going off some intel off snipershide on hand reloads.
    D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCatalyst View Post
    Yeah, I'm still shopping for one. Just going off some intel off snipershide on hand reloads.
    Your not going to get much support here for the two companies your considering. The membership here as a whole, values common sense and quality in regard to their weapons choices. Iraqgunz has given you some great options that I'm sure most here would consider the standard, please look at them before you spend your money on one of the rifles you mentioned. We are all here to help each other and the knowledge that the membership here brings to the table cant be found in this quantity anywhere else in the world.

Good luck
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    I hear ya, Thanks.
    D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As for accuracy expectations, I'm a retired scout, not a sniper, so expectations of accuracy are that it shoots as well as I aim. My expectations of quality, reliability and functionality are extreemly high however. I don't expect fit & finish issues, rattling, jams, FTF, etc from a platform at this price range. I'm also not married to a .308, I was just looking there because I have a few mid-range 5.56 ARs already and thought I'd try one in 308 before they are banned in Marylandistan.

OK, I'm reading you loud and clear. Expertise is why I'm here (lacking it myself). Not really into the SCAR. Nothing against it's quality, just not my thing. I was always under the impression LWRC was a step above LMT, but clearly had that wrong. Does this relationship hold true in the 5.56 platforms as well i.e. stick with LMT and avoid POF or LWRC? Would you mind giving a little insight as to what distinguishes the LMT over the LWRC?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, from what you've said I think the SCAR 17 will fit your needs nicely. It's more of a battle rifle than a precision semi auto platform, however that's not to say the SCAR 17 isn't capable of excellent accuracy. I would definitely pick the SCAR over both the LWRC or POS, I mean POF.

The LMT MWS is an excellent precision system, capable of SR25 level accuracy, however it's heavy. As far as reliability goes, I think the SCAR 17 has the edge over it.

Neither one is going to be cheap, but you'll get what you pay for.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    multiple people including law enforcement agencies have had problems with their LWRC 7.62 guns. sometimes even after the gun has been sent back for work. I have no experience with POF but most professionals will consider them "Hobby" grade.

as far as a 762 battle/DMR rifle I would pick the SCAR or if money isn't a issue a Knights SR-25. I have carried both weapons into combat and had complete faith in both. the only problem with the scar is the availability of magazines. Or maybe a Larue Predatar if you can find them. my friend has a larue and it is a nice super light gun (not sure I like the light barrel).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sua175 View Post
    multiple people including law enforcement agencies have had problems with their LWRC 7.62 guns. sometimes even after the gun has been sent back for work. I have no experience with POF but most professionals will consider them "Hobby" grade.

as far as a 762 battle/DMR rifle I would pick the SCAR or if money isn't a issue a Knights SR-25. I have carried both weapons into combat and had complete faith in both. the only problem with the scar is the availability of magazines. Or maybe a Larue Predatar if you can find them. my friend has a larue and it is a nice super light gun (not sure I like the light barrel).
    What are your thoughts on the LWRC in 5.56? And what do you think of the LMT as suggested by Iraqgunz? Also, have read that LMT's "piston design has a problem with carrier tilt - one of the few current piston designs that still do". That's from 2/2012. Any thoughts on the accuracy of that statement?
    Last edited by omega21; 05-25-13 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    well everyone I know including my father has had very good luck with 556 LWRC guns. I have never personally own one but have shot it a few times. I do really like the features of the LWRC guns especially their 556 SPR line. They are nice but im not a huge piston fan. i personally think the best piston gun is the HK 416 but the civilian model has a unchromed line bore which is a complete no go for me.

as far as the LMT MWS. when i was looking for a modern 762 gun the LMT was one of my choices because of the attractive price. I had no real experience with the LMT so i went with the proven sr-25. I am paranoid to put through thousands of dollars in a product i haven't had through experience with. im sure there are plenty of people here who can attest to the LMT.

bottom line when given the choice between the POF or the LMT it is going to be the LMT everytime. LMT makes weapons for war not weapons that spend their life behind a bench and in a safe.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCatalyst View Post
    or you could be patient and order a CRL-16 for a price a little north of 2 stacks, and it comes with a 3.5# Geissele. Not sure about the warranty though.
    Patient?
    You may as well wait for bigfoot and the unicorn hugging it up in front of your camera.

Can't speak from hands-on experience but knowing some who actually use LWRC it seems they were GTG while it was owned by "Ze Germans" but is no longer the same.
    Regarding POF, IF that remains a viable choice in your world, check these guys out first.
    Hogan actually machined most if not all of their stuff
    http://www.hoganguns.com/

Other than that - when applying search you will find boat-loads of very good info on either and why there may be better choices. FAR better.
    Besides those already mentioned, KAC and LaRue come to mind.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast