Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini Review - Mepro 21 Reflex Sight with triangle

Feedback Score
    Is it lighter than an aimpoint CompM4 with stock mounting system?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Knife_Sniper View Post
    Is it lighter than an aimpoint CompM4 with stock mounting system?
    CompM4 w/mount is 11.8 oz, M21 w/QD mount is 14 oz.
    HTH...
    Tomac
    Last edited by Tomac; 06-07-13 at 15:50.
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    No problem. Let me know how you like it.
    I received my Mepro M21 via UPS today.
    My initial impression is I like it. The Internet makes it easy to research these things so there were really no surprises with this sight. It's exactly what I expected. Installation with the quick release lever was simple and locks up tight. 5 stars on that one. As has been mentioned everywhere I've looked, washout is a problem when looking from indoors to bright outdoors. I have a Trijicon RX06 Reflex that I was able to do a side by side comparison with. The Trijicon with polarizing filter installed overcomes this washout issue in all lighting conditions I've tried it in. Trijicon wins this comparison hands down, IMHO. M21 is very bright and reticle clearly defined in the limited other environs I've tried it in. .. A big plus for me is the triangle dot on the M21 is very easy for me to see without my corrective prescription glasses. I can't tell you how important that is to me. The washout issue concerns me though, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this? .. The front of the M21 lens is threaded and I'd be thrilled if there was a polarizing filter that would fit? .. Trijicon comes with one and offers the filter as an accessory for about $25.00 bucks. .. The Mepro M21 would get high marks from me if they offered a polarizing filter. .. This is just my initial impression. .. If anybody has any suggestions for a polarizing filter for the Mepro I'd be happy to hear it.
    Oh, and I'm familiar with the battery life debate, but I still like the idea of fiber-optic/tritium powered. I guess I'm just stupid like that;}
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Smedley, check this out:
    http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2886.0
    Tomac
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    Smedley, check this out:
    http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2886.0
    Tomac
    Thanks, a clever device but attaching a battery powered light to the sight kinda defeats the whole purpose for me. .. Polarizing filter, now that would be nice! .. Anyway, I really need to get out to the range and zero and evaluate it that way. .. The verdict isn't in for me on this yet.
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    They make a polarizing filter with killflash to improve the reticle's usability when looking from a darkened room to a sunny outside:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/meproli...rizer-kit.html

I have never used one (I haven't seen the reticle wash out enough to need it yet). I would love for someone to be the guinea pig and tell us how it works for you. I was tempted to order one.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nice 5 year old necro-thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    They make a polarizing filter with killflash to improve the reticle's usability when looking from a darkened room to a sunny outside:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/meproli...rizer-kit.html

I have never used one (I haven't seen the reticle wash out enough to need it yet). I would love for someone to be the guinea pig and tell us how it works for you. I was tempted to order one.
    So I went ahead and ordered the filter kit. It comes as a two-piece kit with the polarizing filter and the killflash as separate pieces. You can use either piece, or screw the filter on the front of the optic and screw the killflash into that.

I will say, the filter is effective. You dial the center ring in either direction to darken or lighten the background, so it does work. Darkening the background increases the contrast with the amber reticle on a light background. Problem: compared to the ruggedness of the Meprolight sight itself, the filter/killflash kit is fairly Mickey Mouse. The parts are plastic and look very fragile. One good whack and the filter is history. The killflash, if used separately, screws directly onto the front of the lense and has a low profile. It would probably only be vulnerable if hit directly by debris or something. The filter section causes the whole filter/killflash assembly to stick out from the sight by an inch or so. When both pieces (or just the filter) are attached, the whole assembly looks unacceptably cheap and vulnerable.

It's a pity you can't buy the killflash separately. It appears to be "good enough" unless you anticipated a direct hit on it by flying objects during use. Its low profile makes it less likely to be destroyed than if the filter is used with it.

I rate the filter assembly as "not to be used" unless your situation gives you the opportunity to attach it in just that situation, and remove it shortly thereafter. If you are near a window inside a building you probably won't need it anyway. It's only useful if you are deep within a darkened space looking out into a well-lit daylight area. I only found it necessary when looking through the sight from deep within my barn out onto the ranch in bright sunlight.

The directions say to retighten it every 500 rounds. Tightening the filter section presents another problem: it's hard to attach it tightly or remove it without also messing with the adjustment setting. The adjustment is simply a ring with audible clicks or stops as you darken or lighten the image.

Surely someone could design a better filter kit than this.

I'll take the killflash for what it is: acceptable. But the filter kit is too ill-conceived and executed for anything but range toy use.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 07-16-18 at 11:17.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12