Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I nuts for considering this???

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    NoBody,

Not crazy at all. Buy the Glocks and don't look back. I like 1911's, but I like those cheap, ugly Glocks more.

I recently did something similar. Had an STI from Brazos Custom for 3 years. I put over 22K rounds through it, it was still shooting an inch or so at 25yards with my reloads. Let me tell ya something....that was a damn nice gun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another from Bob. Never had a problem with it that wasn't related to it being ridiculously dirty; or poor QC on my part and letting an improperly sized case get through.

However, it was a real PITA to go from that at a Sunday morning USPSA match, to my issued G22 at work Sunday afternoon. In general, it's just hard to train both.

So after some hard thought, out the door it went. With the proceeds from it, I bought a used G35, and a new one is on the way. It's also going to buy 1 complete, high-end AR lower to go on a matching upper, and I'll still have enough left over to help fund a complete high-end AR.

I shoot Limited in USPSA, so although the holster and mag holders are different than my duty stuff, and the gun is a little longer than my issued one, they are at least, "close enough."

I'm just trying to simplify things in general. Training, spare parts, ammo, etc...... I'm familiar with various guns, but for the most part all I shoot these days is Glocks and AR's.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    After giving this a little more thought here's what I would do: Sell the Wilson, mags and holsters and buy two G19s and either a G17 or a G26 depending on if you want something small to CC or what not. If you want a training gun, a class gun or just something to blast away with get a G17. Then you can buy and use G17 holsters and they'll work for the G19s as well. That way all you stuff is compatible and for the most part parts will work across the two models.

That's what I would do but I love Glocks.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    I've shot the GLOCK 19 and don't have any issues with it except that it's (1) UGLY and (2) it's not a "1911". While I do shoot a 1911 better, I realize the reason I have it is more romantic and less practical (at least for me).

I can keep the CQB and buy one G19 right now without any "wife-issues", but I don't really want to split my time between two different gun frames. I realize that I carry quite often and that a G19 is more practical for me. Selling the CQB would allow me to buy a dedicated G19 as a back-up weapon as well as provide G19's for my boys to learn on and be given when they're old enough.

My oldest son has been shooting with me for the past three years and getting him a G19 with an Advantage Arms 22LR conversion seems like a great idea. When he's ready to move up to a 9mm then I can put the conversion kit on my youngest son's G19 and teach him as well.

I really do love the 1911....who really doesn't??? But love is an emotion and this needs to be a rational decision. I see there are more reliable, easier to shoot & conceal weapons out there. I also love the P-51D Mustang, but I don't fly or own one!

I've heard that LAV found the GLOCK to take a bit of practice for him to master, so selling off my 45ACP ammo will allow me to double my 9mm training ammo for more practice and more training classes.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I'm still considering things, but I probably have already made-up my mind. I do worry that selling my CQB will haunt me down the road, but I refuse to own a safe queen. If I'm not going to shoot and use it as designed then I don't want it. When I think about being able to train more (cheaper), have a back-up weapon, and give my boys their first gun....why not?!

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    If you want a training gun, a class gun or just something to blast away with get a G17. Then you can buy and use G17 holsters and they'll work for the G19s as well. That way all you stuff is compatible and for the most part parts will work across the two models.
    I have started to take classes and have another one next month. I don't expect to compete, just training and carrying concealed. Why would you recommend a G17 over the G19 for classes/training?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Nobody, KEEP the Wilson and if you must have plastic buy the 19. Down the road you will be happy you still have it and it will be much more accurate 15yds and out.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Well, the vast majority say it's a mistake to sell the CQB. I spoke to my wife yesterday about this and she said the same thing. So, I think the wise think to do is to buy one GLOCK 19 for now.

If my CQB turns into a safe quen on me then I can always sell it later. Otherwise, I lose nothing and prevent a possible mistake.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    If the CQB turns into a safe queen I will buy you a G19 and we can trade

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper36 View Post
    If the CQB turns into a safe queen I will buy you a G19 and we can trade
    G19 PLUS $1,200 and you have a deal, Paul! Unfortunately, it's not CA approved so you'd have to move to a free state.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I recieved my orders yesterday!!!! Come June I am out of here and on my way back to Virginia. Thank God

Feedback Score
    I won't name anyone here but as a vote for the G-19,many of the pro's that you would probably think of as 1911 guys do not carry one off the range. I know of two who everyone thinks of as the king of 1911 proponents who carry custom glock 19's from me or a custom M&P from me.
    1911's are great guns, I have a few, but they are not the abuse taking tools that the glock is or the M&P i think will be.
    Plus you brought up a great point on ammo cost. Practice is what will really make you better and more is good.
    Now the self promoting part!?!? I can make your G-19 point and feel more like a A 1911 with a grip reduction. A plus all around.

CHECK 360
    David Bowie
    Last edited by Bowie Tactical; 04-06-08 at 04:43.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast