Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: People that have never received training please read!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am absolutely not shocked. It's been my general observation that the vast majority of people believe, in their hearts, that just buying a gun will automatically make them safe. Most states, at least this one, require some level of training in order to get a PTC, so now we have people who take such entry-level training that is more about when to shoot than how to shoot, and especially not about how to use a gun to defend themselves. But this leaves people with the impression that taking the required PTC class automatically qualifies them as bona fide pistoleros, and because most of these people think that just having the gun makes them safe, they skip the follow-on defensive pistol course that actually teach self defense. These people are generally not firearms enthusiasts, so for them taking the more advanced defensive pistol courses is a chore, not something to look forward to.

I'm not a bit surprised that being in the military doesn't automatically imbue someone with skill, training, or even interest in firearms. I'm even pretty confident that your average police officer likely feels the same way. As to CCW instructors, there are some good ones and some bad ones. Unfortunately, the bad ones tend to be really bad.
    Last edited by Hmac; 05-28-13 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingball911 View Post
    This is also high on my list once I get a new job. Can anyone recommend a beginners class near (ish) to western NC (Boone/hickory)?

There's a Vickers basic handgun in December in Dunn.

http://aliastraining.com/larryvicker...13-dunnnc.aspx

Well the page title says Dunn, but the page itself says Carthage. Dunno. I might go though, just need to figure out if I'm moving or not.
    Last edited by jstalford; 05-28-13 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    Indeed. Just going to the range a couple of times a year is not sufficient. I equate shooting with flying. If you don't do it enough to gain and maintain proficiency, your skills will start to deteriorate after just a few weeks. Watching the abortion going on at my local range is proof enough. The last time I was on the range, I let a gal and her BF shoot my carbine, since she had watched me doing some drills and was very interested in shooting it since she never shot one before. She was actually way better than her BF as far as shot placement. His response was, Wow, this is just like Call of Duty! I said I wouldn't know since I don't play video games. It's sad when the general population thinks it's, in their mind, equipped to handle a firearm in a gunfight after watching action movies or playing Call of Duty over and over again.
    Ahh It's funny because it's true... But bro, I've seen every "The Rock" movie and played all tha COD's AND Halo's that's GTG right??
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingball911 View Post
    This is also high on my list once I get a new job. Can anyone recommend a beginners class near (ish) to western NC (Boone/hickory)?
    You have a VSM instructor in NC. These classes are CHEAP and filled with high quality instruction.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmnielsen View Post
    I've had no formal training, so it's high on my list of things to do (cost being a factor in it being delayed) but I can say there is an abundance of helpful information on here that has helped me improve in many ways as a shooter and helped in provided great information on choices for gear.
    The BEST advice I could give you is to STOP SHOOTING until you get some instruction. Reason? You are simply practicing your bad habits (and wasting ammo). Save your money and seek training. THEN, practice what you have learned.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I attended a basic class about a year and a half ago. One student showed up in sweat pants. The instructors had to find her a spare belt. This classed ranged from people like her, that probably never shot the gun before the class, to people who were just taking it to review fundamentals (the class was only $25 + range free).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I am absolutely not shocked. It's been my general observation that the vast majority of people believe, in their hearts, that just buying a gun will automatically make them safe. Most states, at least this one, require some level of training in order to get a PTC, so now we have people who take such entry-level training that is more about when to shoot than how to shoot, and especially not about how to use a gun to defend themselves. But this leaves people with the impression that taking the required PTC class automatically qualifies them as bona fide pistoleros, and because most of these people think that just having the gun makes them safe, they skip the follow-on defensive pistol course that actually teach self defense. These people are generally not firearms enthusiasts, so for them taking the more advanced defensive pistol courses is a chore, not something to look forward to.

Agree, the thought of 8hrs in sun is enough to turn some people off right there. Some places offer 4hr classes (beyond basic handgun/rifle) that are great for the wives, girlfriends, and wussy friends (I kid, I kid).
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I suggested and my wife agreed to attend a Redback One ladies only intro class a couple weeks ago. I was amazed at how much she learned even though it was a slow speed intro class. She didn't want to learn handguns, and I knew enough to not force the issue on my own. She came home from that class, opened the safe and unloaded a few of my handguns confidently. I asked her what she was doing and she simply responded that she was looking for one that she liked better than the G19 I gave her. After sampling a few she said the G19 will do just fine. This is something that before the class she wouldn't have done. Now, we have both attended training from the same instructor and we can work together to improve her skills. RB1 is going to try and bring a ladies only two day class next year and she can't wait to attend.

Myself, I attend one pistol and one carbine class a year. That really isn't enough, but it's all I can get in Alaska.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There are quite a few reputable instructors that have released a training video of some sort. I'm not saying that a training video is good enough to replace first hand training, but they do give some insight into the basics. Most videos touch upon safety, gear selection, grip, stance, POA/POI, failure clearing, and etc.

I, myself, have not taken any classes, but do plan on it once time permits. I think the videos also give beginners an idea of what to expect when taking their first class, and probably prepare them to learn more in their first class. I do agree and believe that bad habits are hard to erase.

Feedback Score
    Hey Grant, Im looking for some good classes to take , would you know of any in Ky? I have looked into tactical response fighting pistol/rifle for their relative closeness to me, an 1hr or so away.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast