Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of DSA SA58/FALs?

Feedback Score
    I had two Imbel receivers here, and the parts to put together two paras. Sold em. Don't regret it. I would get the SCAR.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    mooseknuckle and peshawar, I completely agree. It took me a while to get over my emotional attachment to the FAL, but I eventually sold them both with a plan to buy a SCAR 17. I can't really think of any area where FALs are better than just buying a SCAR 17 except maybe cost, but then again the good imported factory rifles aren't too far off in price from the SCAR, and some even cost more. Maybe parts availability is better for the FAL, but that is probably about it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    I had two Imbel receivers here, and the parts to put together two paras. Sold em. Don't regret it. I would get the SCAR.
    If I could afford the SCAR, I wouldn't be asking about the FAL.

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If I could afford the SCAR, I wouldn't be asking about the FAL.

Haha, touché. They're out of my price range too.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post

In the end I may just go with the SCAR 17 with all things considered.
    Recommend this as your best course of action.

On a whim, I purchased an Imbel FAL--I was so impressed that I saved up and purchased a DSA Para FAL. However, the DSA's so heavy, cumbersome, and prone to early bolt-lock, that I don't consider it a viable fighting weapon. It's also sensitive to ammo--.308 tends to cause issues, and the weapon definitely prefers 7.62 milsurp.

I ended up purchasing a SCAR 17S right after the election. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the FAL. Lighter, easier to reload, easier to point, easier to disengage the safety, more accurate, better length of pull--the list goes on.

Save up and go with the SCAR.

Last edited by Kchen986; 05-30-13 at 23:12.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It should be noted that for the price of a SCAR 17. You can get a complete DSA FAL, and enough surplus parts, kits to keep it running for several lifetimes.

Yes newer DSA FALs aren't what they used to be, customer service also sucks (always has) but gunplumber is indeed right.

For the most part they're perfectly good guns, and I would rate them far better than Springfield's M1A. Often internet reputations are overwrought and half-baked. Legitimate but comparatively rare problems, receive disproportionate attention, and suddenly it's a POS (Glock reliability and M&P accuracy) come to mind.

The issues with .308/7.62 usually result from being undergassed, my problems have typically been that .308 runs fine and 7.62 is what has the problem but YMMV. The gassing problem is easily fixed either with the regulator or by increasing the port size (not hard, done it). Another problem is that sometimes the chambers are a bit tight. I've fixed this with some polishing.

The FAL is a great gun, and it lends itself to the home gunsmith. I'd have no trouble taking my dremel to the FAL...I'd be waaaaay more hesitant with a SCAR but yes older model DSArms (more than 2 years), and Imbel is what would get my money these days.

It should also be noted that FALs are one of the more reasonably priced transferable NFA battle rifles.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 05-31-13 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I shoot my FAL way better than my SCAR. To be fair I've got a lot more rounds through the FAL and am more comfortable behind it. Compared to the FAL, everything else, including the SCAR, just feels bulky. The FAL is a really sleek streamlined rifle. Every time I shoot it I have to ask myself why I have strayed from it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    The FAL is a great gun, and it lends itself to the home gunsmith.
    Building your own was the way to go, but the days of getting excellent quality kits or using two or more inexpensive kits for a build are a decade+ behind us now. Not to mention chasing down a NIB lower or barrel to replace worn or poor fitting parts or doing some accuracy enhancement.

There are some great kit guns out there, but unless you can range test one, you could be taking a huge chance on getting a POS. I've seen a couple of DSA built guns (/w US barrels) that fall in the POS category as well. [This was in years past so take it with a grain of salt relative to current production guns.]

With several of my best (and personally built) FALs still in inventory - and one SCAR H - I can honestly say the SCAR is worth the extra money - for me.

If nothing else, you know what you are getting up front: Less weight, superior ergonomics; ease of optic mounting; and twice the accuracy, if not more.

All easily proved (to myself anyway) after I switched from an excellent 2+/- MOA FAL to the SCAR H in our longer range three gun matches.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    Building your own was the way to go, but the days of getting excellent quality kits or using two or more inexpensive kits for a build are a decade+ behind us now. Not to mention chasing down a NIB lower or barrel to replace worn or poor fitting parts or doing some accuracy enhancement.

There are some great kit guns out there, but unless you can range test one, you could be taking a huge chance on getting a POS. I've seen a couple of DSA built guns (/w US barrels) that fall in the POS category as well. [This was in years past so take it with a grain of salt relative to current production guns.]

With several of my best (and personally built) FALs still in inventory - and one SCAR H - I can honestly say the SCAR is worth the extra money - for me.

If nothing else, you know what you are getting up front: Less weight, superior ergonomics; ease of optic mounting; and twice the accuracy, if not more.

All easily proved (to myself anyway) after I switched from an excellent 2+/- MOA FAL to the SCAR H in our longer range three gun matches.
    The question posed is whether the DSA FAL is still a decent gun. Not SCAR vs. FAL. I'm sure there are lots of guns that people chose for a variety of good reasons, relevant to them. My only intention was to dispell some of the commonly spouted internet "wisdom."

I honestly don't see what the SCAR does that the FAL doesn't but it's not my money. Sure I really like it's lighter weight, but the ones I've tried don't seem to yield any significant accuracy advantage but hey that's your call, and in the end it's not that much weight.

Finding quality parts kits to do a build is problematic, but finding parts kits to use as spare/replacement parts is not.

Finding other FAL parts isn't as easy as it used to be, but it's a damn site easier than finding SCAR components...cheaper too.

SCAR is an excellent weapon, but not without its detractors, and the idea that DSA FALs are suddenly POS, or otherwise is somewhat overdone.

Honestly if I was looking to change from the FAL, and I had $3500 (SCAR money) to buy something new, I'd be looking at LaRue PredatAR or other quality AR .308.

Essentially for the price of one SCAR you can get at least two (new or used) FALs. Mags are at least half the price, parts are readily available if you know where to look.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 06-01-13 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post

Essentially for the price of one SCAR you can get at least two (new or used) FALs. Mags are at least half the price, parts are readily available if you know where to look.
    It's going to depend on what you're looking for. For what I consider a "modernized" FAL (16-18" bbl, Para style, railed foregrip), you'll be paying in the vicinity of $1,800-$2,000. Another $800 and you will have reached pre-craze SCAR prices. ($2,600).

To me, that $800 is without question, better spent on the SCAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast