Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dot vs. Bead vs. Ghost Ring, what is the consensus?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Red Dot vs. Bead vs. Ghost Ring, what is the consensus?

So like the title reads, what is the general consensus on what is most effective? I have a Bushnell TRS-25 to test the concept on my Mossie 500 and I found that I'm slower to target than my 590 with a bead sight. I was going to replace the TRS with an aimpoint but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. Never used a ghost ring, so idk how that would work out.

These are defensive shotguns, not game guns, so any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    I strongly prefer having an RDS on shotguns and now run them on all my shotguns--typically a micro-Aimpoint, but RMR's also works well:

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Rib and bead for me. Look at the target not the sights. GH

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm also faster with the beads than the RDS or ghost rings for shooting shot loads.

I learned shotgun shooting like most of you probably did - hunting and refined myself over the years by attending a couple of instructor courses that were evolved from John Satterwhite's shotgun techniques.

From the high ready ( international skeet ready) you follow the front bead on the target as you mount the shotgun, as soon as the shotgun touches your cheek you should be able to shoot.

To me this is quicker than finding the dot in either a reflex or tube RDS.

I'm also faster from the the low ready with the bead, but this is based on the stance directed nature of the technique, I feel with a little practice with a RDS from the low ready this wouldn't be the case.

For slugs beyond 25 yards the RDS or ghost rings are quicker and more accurate.

JMO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I strongly prefer having an RDS on shotguns and now run them on all my shotguns--typically a micro-Aimpoint, but RMR's also works well:,,,,
    Hi Doc! Just curious - with your Aimpoint or RMR setups are you also able to see the iron sights or front bead? Not necessarily co-witnessed but if your red dot dies can you use your sights without removing the optic as is commonly done for AR15s?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Rib and bead for me. Look at the target not the sights. GH
    More applicable to clay shooting/duck hunting. Delivering accurate hits with buck and slug out out to their max effective range in low light situations...then an Aimpoint T1 is a good idea.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Hi Doc! Just curious - with your Aimpoint or RMR setups are you also able to see the iron sights or front bead? Not necessarily co-witnessed but if your red dot dies can you use your sights without removing the optic as is commonly done for AR15s?
    My 870 is set up very similarly to Doc's first picture. Aimpoint Micro on a piece of pic rail on the receiver. I have a barrel with rifle sights, instead of ghost rings.

My optic is on a QD mount, so if it does, I will toss it off and use the rifle sights. The rifle sights will clear the Pic rail no problem and give me a full sight picture.

I used to have a bead barrel, and it was more limited in what it could do. Since the Pic rail blocks a good portion of the bead, you would end up hitting high. You'd have to hold on a targets belt line in order to get COM heads.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPooba View Post
    More applicable to clay shooting/duck hunting. Delivering accurate hits with buck and slug out out to their max effective range in low light situations...then an Aimpoint T1 is a good idea.
    I'm actually kinda suprised to hear the love red dots are getting on this thread. I was hoping to confirm my feelings that a bead is superior. Point taken on lowlight conditions in fact I was wondering how an XS big dot as a front bead would fair.

In regards to the aimpoint, how high of a mount do you have? I have the Bushnell mounted low on the rail and for whatever reason I don't pick the dot up like I would on an AR as quickly as I would the bead. Could be a training issue on my part, just curious what mounts the guys who are successfully running red dots are using?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I'm actually kinda suprised to hear the love red dots are getting on this thread. I was hoping to confirm my feelings that a bead is superior. Point taken on lowlight conditions in fact I was wondering how an XS big dot as a front bead would fair.

In regards to the aimpoint, how high of a mount do you have? I have the Bushnell mounted low on the rail and for whatever reason I don't pick the dot up like I would on an AR as quickly as I would the bead. Could be a training issue on my part, just curious what mounts the guys who are successfully running red dots are using?
    I had an XS tritium bead. It was nice and very effective. If it fits your mission and purpose, it would be great. I personally just felt that I wanted something more precise for slug out to 100m or so, which explains why I went to a rifle sight/Aimpoint combo. In my case, the rifle sights are obviously a backup, as the Aimpoint Micro is incredibly robust.

My Aimpoint T1 rides on a Larue QD Low mount, which is about as low as you can get. I think shotgun fit plays a big role in how easy it is to pick up the dot. Most people are running a stock that is too long for tactical shotgun use. I personally have a Speedfeed Youth stock, which is about perfect for my body size. I have no issues picking up the dot, nor do I have to crane my neck to get behind the sight.
    Last edited by GrandPooba; 05-30-13 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    Micro Aimpoint for me on my 11-87. I took two shotgun courses, one with, and one without. I was way more accurate with the aimpoint, especially with slugs at 50 yards and beyond.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast