Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 BLK Remington 220gr Subsonic Gel Test

Feedback Score

300 BLK Remington 220gr Subsonic Gel Test

I finally got around to testing the Remington 220gr subsonic on gel, and the results support those reported by many who have hunted and lost deer with the 220gr SMK in both Whisper and Blackout cartridges. This bullet just zips straight through 14" of gel before tumbling once, stopping a full 28.75" into the gel AFTER bouncing off the board holding the blocks.

This bullet is just too stable, ironically, for use in hunting or self-defense. I know that people have successfully used this to take deer and hogs, but this is a marksman's round, at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Q7xRmZAtk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have never understood why people hunt with these subsonic SMK loads. Seems borderline unethical and cruel to me.

Feedback Score
    The 240gr SMK seems to perform much better, but I am with you. I want something that is going to expand to give me a greater margin of error. The Lehigh Defense expanding loads seem to fit the bill for subsonic hunting quite well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quite Riot, thanks for another great video. Informative and to the point without too much filler BS.

As for the topic on hand, I never understood using these for anything other than quiet fun plinking. I know some people have done some hunting with them but I just don't see the point. I have the popular SDN-6 + 8" AR set up and if I were to try and hunt a group of hogs at a feeder, even the subs with the can are loud enough to scare off the rest of the herd, not to mention, the bullet makes a loud THUD when it hits its target. The 220SMK is super quiet and fun with the AAC Handi though!
    Silence can not be misquoted!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Damn. You could probably shoot that bullet again.

Feedback Score
    Anyone ever test the Hornady 208gr AMAX subsonic loading with the red plastic tip? I'm curious if that would perform differently.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I hunt wild hogs with hand loaded subsonic 220 SMKs. Brain shots are preferred for DRT but have put several down with heart - lung shots.

All my hunting is at night in my pastures with IR and NV. I walk up on foot within 50 to 60 yards. I hunt at least twice a week. It is a rush using NV moving in slowly with the hogs upwind trying for a DRT brain shot.

I respectfully disagree with conclusions that subsonic SMK is an ineffective hunting cartridge. There is a big difference between a bullet's terminal performance in ballistic gel versus a hog's skull or ribcage heart- lung shot.
    My experience is 220 SMK will deform and tumble based on multiple real-world kills, probably due to deformaties with impact on hide, bone, and subcutaneous gristle layers. I realize my data is anecdotal and not statistically backed but I'm going out again tonight using 220SMK Subsonic hand loads.

I suggest you reperform your test twice. Impact through a layer of hide then gel at 50 yards, impact into bone then gel at 50 yards. Lower velocities at 50 yards plus tip deformation should replicate actual bullet performance.

I do agree on not using 220g SMK subsonic for heart- lung shots on deer but would not hesitate on a brain shot.

I have been working up subsonic loads with the Lehigh bullets in both .300Black and .308 subsonic.
    When I am satisfied with consistent accuracy in my rifles I will try them out to 100 yards on heart- lung shots.

I plan to hunt deer a few times with 300 black this year and plan to use both Lehigh's controlled fracturing bullets in a subsonic loads and supersonic Barnes 125g Triple shock tipped bullets.

I also hunt with an integrally suppressed .308 bolt rifle. Very similar to the .300 Black in subsonic performance.

Have fun,
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 05-18-13 at 06:49.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    Head shots can be done with anything powerful enough to punch through a skull. My great uncle killed many hogs and cattle with a 22LR pistol.

Google "220gr SMK deer" to read countless reports of extremely poor performance of this round, even in neck shots. Yes, you will find a few DRT reports thrown in, but the greater narrative is very damning of this bullet as a hunting round.

That said, it is a great round for suppressors because it is so stable.

I have also tested three of Lehigh Defense's 300 Whisper subsonic loads, and I will be using the 200gr ME for some of my hunting this fall.

200gr ME Gel Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuu5OMNy2gs

170gr Controlled Fracturing Gel Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGP0vUtaiAg

186gr Controlled Fracturing Gel Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Lu49CRMGo

Feedback Score
    QR
    as someone asked earlier, any info on the 208gr red tip Amax ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randolph View Post
    QR
    as someone asked earlier, any info on the 208gr red tip Amax ?
    I have been unable to get any to test. However, they aren't designed to expand at subsonic velocities. I do want to see what they do in gel nonetheless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast