Thread: Does surplus ammo cause excesive wear

Feedback Score

Does surplus ammo cause excesive wear

Hi all,

I've acquired 800 rounds of surplus .308 ammo through a trade, Pakistani belted ammo and Australian surplus that comes on stripper clips pictures of the cans are below. I've shot some of this through my Armalite AR10 with no issues. I'm looking into purchasing a .308 bolt gun for hunting and to get into long range shooting. My question is, will this ammunition cause excessive wear or damage to a gun that is more precision oriented gun such as a Remington 700. I understand these bullets will not group as well, but being able to use the ammo I have on hand for plinking would be an important factor in my decision to purchase a bolt gun.
    Last edited by aceofspades991; 05-31-13 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    pic of Pakistani ammo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by HackerF15E; 05-31-13 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aceofspades991 View Post
    Hi all,

I've acquired 800 rounds of surplus .308 ammo through a trade, Pakistani belted ammo and Australian surplus that comes on stripper clips pictures of the cans are below. I've shot some of this through my Armalite AR10 with no issues. I'm looking into purchasing a .308 bolt gun for hunting and to get into long range shooting. My question is, will this ammunition cause excessive wear or damage to a gun that is more precision oriented gun such as a Remington 700. I understand these bullets will not group as well, but being able to use the ammo I have on hand for plinking would be an important factor in my decision to purchase a bolt gun.
    If it's shit ammo like '75 Chilean...yes, it can destroy your weapon. The Australian should be good. Haven't heard anything about the Pakistani.

Feedback Score

Re: Does surplus ammo cause excesive wear

Ok thanks. I did some research on the Pakistani stuff and didn't find anything other than it being a little dirty. No catastrophic failures. I just wanted to make sure shooting cheaper ammo through a precision gun wouldn't hurt them inherent accuracy of that gun.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score

surplus ammo

Actually, I've shot quite a bit of that Aussie 308 ammo thru my FAL and my BLR with no issues---good, clean stuff. The Paki 308 is unknown to me...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    When dealing with surplus NATO ammo, think of it this way.

Don't buy milsurp sourced from a country you'd never, EVER, want to visit. (Pakistan, Malaysia come to mind).

I've had reliability/performance issues with Paki ammo, never bought it again. Wasn't dangerous, just crappy.

Portugese, Aussie, German, South African, Brit...GTG.

Aussie ammo is some of the best milsurp around, another good one is German DAG (AB22 especially). Tied for 3rd is Brit, South African and Port.

As for wear, my guess is that milsurp would cause less wear than commercial .308. Generally speaking less powder/less pressure = less wear.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 06-12-13 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good advice so far, especially about avoiding ammo from Third-World shitholes.

Surplus ammo shouldn't damage your rifle--unless it blows it up--but it may not be very accurate. I have a tight-chambered 308 sporter that consistently shoots under 1 MOA with good ammo. Surplus ammo won't chamber consistently, and when it does I'm lucky to get 4 MOA groups, so I gave up on it. Instead, I bought 1k rounds of PMC 147gr FMJBT ammo. It averages 1.5 MOA in bench tests, which is good enough for most practice, shooting offhand, etc. I use handloads when I really need it to group.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 06-12-13 at 14:58.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Good advice so far, especially about avoiding ammo from Third-World shitholes.
    Yep. That ain't TAR they're using the seat those bullets...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta