Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is currently the best .38+P load for self defense?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

What is currently the best .38+P load for self defense?

I ask myself that every year at about this time, as the weather starts warming up, and for my daily carry I find myself more and more using this.....

......a S&W 640 Centennial with Barami hip-grip/Tyler T-grip combo, which rides mexican style under a loose t-shirt tail.

It's chambered for .357, but I never carry or shoot anything in it greater than .38+P. Most of the extra charge of the magnum will be wasted by the short barrel, burning off as a large flash ball that does not contribute to bullet velocity (but certainly does to difficulty of shooting).

Based on the literature I followed over the years, I've always fueled the little wheelie with one of the lead semi-wadcutter hollow points offered by Winchester or Remington.

I know a lot of advances have more recently been made in some handgun calibers for self defense though. For example, HydraShok for many years ruled the 9mm arena, but Gold Dot now seems the favorite of many (which is what I now carry during the cooler months in my Glock 19).

With the prospect of the Centennial soon being in full-time service, have there been any improvements in self-defense ammo for the .38+P ???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The LSWCHP round commonly known as the "FBI load" turns out to work in longer barreled revolvers...not so much in the small J Frames.

For the J frame revolvers the current recommendation is the Speer Gold Dot, 135 grain +P round. It was tailor made for the small S&W J frames with 2 inch or less barrels. It offers acceptable penetration and reliable expansion, though according to DocGKR it doesn't do as well through intermediate barriers...but that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Feedback Score
    The CCI/Speer 135 grain (not the 125) Gold Dot HP load was specifically engineered by Speer for NYCPD to perform at modern terminal ballistics standards in 2" revolvers. It's been in service for some few years and appears to be pretty good. NYC still has quite a few full sized service revolvers in use and even more 2" backup and off duty guns. I believe that LAPD has also adopted this load for the .38 revolvers they still have in use.

Having said that, there's a TON of history with the "FBI load", a +P 158 grain lead hollow point in the .38 Special and graveyards full of bad guys done in with that load. I've found that the Remington version seems to expand better from short barrels due to being softer (less antimony). It also has a semi-hollow base that the others don't, which leads to a better bullet/bore seal resulting in higher velocities and less bore leading than the harder Winchester and Federal versions.

Either should work well if you do your job of placing them in the correct location.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Soooo.....looks like it's Gold Dot all-around then, for both the summer snubbie as well as the winter tupperware.

Shall obtain some on way home tonight -- thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    The Speer 135gr +P is supposed to be a good round. As an above poster said, it's what my Department issues (LASD).

Feedback Score
    It is essentially the only "+P" round that delivers sufficient expansion in short barreled revolvers. I think you would do better to consider standard pressure rounds. Doc Roberts has noted adequate performance from full wadcutters. The great thing is not only do they perform well, but they are low recoil and really cheap. Enough so that you don't mind going to the range and shooting a full box thru your revolver. I can't say the same for the +P loads. By the way, there is a new? company, Buffalo Bore, that offers a new line of ammunition for short barreled revolvers that have gotten some good reviews. I have not yet tried them though so I am unable to give an opinion.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would use the .357 Speer short barrel load in a 640. 135 at 990.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stephen A. Camp has done some good velocity testing of the various 158 +P LSWCHP out there. Highpowers and Handguns FBI load tests

Here's his chrono data for Remington's version of the FBI load:

For those interested, here are some average 10-shot velocities for this Remington round:

S&W Model 642 with 1 7/8" bbl: 800 ft/sec

S&W Model 19 with 2 1/2" bbl: 860 ft/sec

S&W Model 64 with 3" bbl: 883 ft/sec

Ruger GP100 with 3" bbl: 894 ft/sec

Ruger SP101 with 3 1/16" bbl: 906 ft/sec

S&W Model 10 with 4" bbl: 888 ft/sec
    Given those velocities and the fact the FBI load is simply prove, as Wayne Dobbs says, with lots of bodies underground; that or its Buffalo Bore equivalent is what I carry in both my 65 and my 637. I've gone away from 357 Magnum as a carry round due to overpenetration risk and slower follow ups.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
    .....you would do better to consider standard pressure rounds......they are low recoil......
    I can vouch for that. Even though this gun is all stainless, +P loads grind me down pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    I would use the .357 Speer short barrel load in a 640. 135 at 990.
    I seem to recall a year or two ago seeing something about new loads specially developed for snubbies and pocket autos (kinda what prompted me to make this post). I'll look into this .357 versus the +P.38's available.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some "snub artists" use a 148gr Wadcutter in the cylinder and the 135gr+P Speer GDSB as the reload(s). Seems reasonable.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Dr Roberts has mentioned this as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast