Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is currently the best .38+P load for self defense?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    Some "snub artists" use a 148gr Wadcutter in the cylinder and the 135gr+P Speer GDSB as the reload(s). Seems reasonable.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Dr Roberts has mentioned this as well.
    You are correct. He says that using the wadcutters you get lower recoil, decent terminal ballistics, and people wanting to shoot more (practice) due to the round being less harsh to shoot out of alloy frames. The NYPD load is carried as the reload since its bullet shape is easier to facilitate reloads over the blunt tip of the wadcutter.

My only problem with this is finding decent factory wadcutters anymore, especially low cost. That seems to be a thing of the past anymore. A local store just recently got some of the Remington version in stock for about $18 a box. Not exactly cheap but its even higher online from what I've seen.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Am I not recoil sensitive? 135 +Ps from a 642 and 110gr .357s from a 640 don't bother me.

Seriously, in a fight you aren't going to notice recoil. Shot recovery might matter but I don't notice much of a difference between 158gr wadcutters I shoot in bulk and 135gr carry ammo.

Feedback Score
    Some "snub artists" use a 148gr Wadcutter in the cylinder and the 135gr+P Speer GDSB as the reload(s). Seems reasonable.
    I carry S&B 148 Wad Cutters in my bug. My reloads are 125+P gold dots. Seems to work for me.

There are only three types: Trained, Un-trained or JAFO.
    Which one are you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Am I not recoil sensitive? 135 +Ps from a 642 and 110gr .357s from a 640 don't bother me.
    They bother some! I've seen a woman at a public range fire a .38 snub for the first time and actually drop it in fright. With my old 442 and non-padde grips, I couldn't stand to live fire more than a few cylinders a year, it hurt so much. The right grips make all the difference in the world My 637 came with the low-profile grips that I associated with pain, but also with a Hogue Monogrip. I put that one on and I associate it with fun and painless shooting. They also conceal well in a pocket, which I didn't believe until I tried.

Seriously, in a fight you aren't going to notice recoil.
    But in practice you will. Pretty soon you won't want to live-fire at all, if you're allergic to pain like me.

As to the original question, I carry Cor-Bon DPX 110gr all-copper HP, which is not +P even though the brass is so marked, and according to published gunrag tests will chrono over 1000fps from a snub. The fired brass either falls or ejects easily out of even a dirty cylinder, and the projectiles are long and pointy and easy to reload even with a Slow Strip, I mean Speed Strip, which is the only practical way for me to carry accessible spare ammo for my BUG. I would defer to Dr. Gary and keep wadcutters in the cylinder, but under stupid NC LE firearms qual rules you can qualify with only one service load and must use only that load until you requal with another load.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We had Cor-Bon in for an ammo test at my dept. The .38 DPX is now the carry load of everyone who carries a .38 that I know. It expanded to over .60" and went over 12" through 4 layers of denim from my 442. DPX in every caliber wowed everyone in attendance.

Dave Williams

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for all the good info everybody.

My local retailer was yesterday out of the +P Gold Dot in 135 grain, although they did have the 125 along with some non +P. Maybe I'll stop back in today and see whether they have any of that Cor Bon DPX.

I want to settle onto something ammo-wise soon, to start getting in some practice with the Centennial before I switch-over to carrying it full-time for the summer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use my S&W 640 as a back up gun and use to load it with Federal or Remington 125 gr JHP. Now, I use either the Buffalo Bore 125 gr full power Magnum load, or the Double Tap 125 gr Gold Dots. The recoil does not bother me.

For .38 Special +P loads - I like the Buffalo Bore Heavy 158 gr LHP +Ps.

My 8 year old son can handle the 640 with Winchester 110 gr JHP Magnum loads.

Feedback Score
    Oooops ... did I mention the problem with Cor-Bon DPX? It's about $1.75 per round, WHEN you can find it. Midway and Dakota Ammo (the real makers of Cor-Bon) usually have some on hand but Dakota as I recall shipped theirs signature-only to me last year and I wasn't around to sign. That was the day before I needed it of course. I literally had to make a 100-mile round trip to get it from the FedEx center. Other than that, good experience from Dakota/Cor-Bon. I even scored 100% in qual with DPX in both my stock Beretta 92F and Smith 637, better than what I did with my 1911 TRP. Flash seemed very low at night too.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyRoller View Post
    Midway and Dakota Ammo (the real makers of Cor-Bon)
    Dakota Ammo = Coporate Entity
    Corbon = DBA / Brand
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Some "snub artists" use a 148gr Wadcutter in the cylinder
    That's how my BUG is loaded on duty. Based on Gary's insights, testing, etc.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast