Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P226 Light Striking on DA.....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That looks to be a picture of your slide. The safety lever is in the frame. It looks like a little bent piece of metal. It's easy to find it, just visualize where the firing pin block is located when the gun's assembled.

JLM,
    You can try a new trigger bar spring. But more than likely you'll need a new safety lever and/or a trigger bar. If it were mine I'd replace all three parts.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Another observation: in the instances where the safety lever is NOT raised by the DA pull, if I try to push the hammer forward with my thumb (like it would need to be forward to strike the FP) it will NOT move forward. So, not only is the safety lever not getting engaged but obviously the hammer is not going all the way forward on some of the DA pulls.

This would be Picture #1 above.
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post

JLM,
    You can try a new trigger bar spring. But more than likely you'll need a new safety lever and/or a trigger bar. If it were mine I'd replace all three parts.
    Robb, thanks. I have that DVD coming so hopefully I will be able to tear the gun down myself.

I have a copy of the .pdf armorers manual from Biggerhammer but the pictures are so unclear as to be unusable. If I can't unF(((k it myself, any of chance of me getting
    you to work on it?
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLM View Post
    Robb, thanks. I have that DVD coming so hopefully I will be able to tear the gun down myself.

I have a copy of the .pdf armorers manual from Biggerhammer but the pictures are so unclear as to be unusable. If I can't unF(((k it myself, any of chance of me getting
    you to work on it?
    Sure no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JLM View Post
    Another observation: in the instances where the safety lever is NOT raised by the DA pull, if I try to push the hammer forward with my thumb (like it would need to be forward to strike the FP) it will NOT move forward. So, not only is the safety lever not getting engaged but obviously the hammer is not going all the way forward on some of the DA pulls.
    This is by design. The hammer shouldn't be able to go all of the way forward without rearward pressure on the trigger.
    Try it again with an empty pistol (with the slide assy mounted and forward). Pull the trigger in DA and hold the trigger to the rear and push the hammer forward with you thumb. The hammer should hit the firing pin and snap back when let go.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 04-04-08 at 05:23.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Robb, yes if the FP safety lever gets engaged like it should the hammer indeed goes forward as designed. IF it gets engaged. That seems to be the problem with this particular pistol.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've had this happen on 2 different P220s. It's ONE of the reasons I hate sig pistols so much.

Each time it happened, I'd pull the same round out of the gun and fire it without issue in my 1911.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

ToddG Guest
    Robb -- thanks for the picture twist. I couldn't figure that out for the life of me.

JLM -- I would definitely replace the trigger bar, safety lever, and trigger return spring. You might also want to look the frame over carefully for cracks, out of an abundance of caution. While it's probably just wear on the bar or lever, there's a chance the misalignment is happening because the frame is cracked and flexing.

When you get the replacement trigger return spring, be absolutely certain that you get either the old (curved, no loop) spring or you get both the new spring (with the loop) and the new style grips. The new spring will not fit under the old grips and will lead to stoppages.

Feedback Score
    Copy that Todd. And thanks as usual. Ditto Robb

Soon as I get Chris Orndorff's DVD I'm going to tear the whole thing apart and have a look. I also found today from the local DA that one of the USFWS guys here is a certified Sig Armorer, and he gave me his contact info.

I'll get it working and get back to shooting 3x5 cards dude.

ETA: are there any specific tools that would make a full detail strip easier?

Feedback Score
    Another (somewhat funny) observation: pistol functions as it should (allthou not verified by live fire) when held upside down FP safety gets disengaged, hammer has full foward travel, etc.

ToddG Guest
    JLM -- holding the gun upside down is the official solution per SIG if your trigger return spring breaks in a fight. I'm not making that up.

Since, in my experience, that spring usually breaks before it loses tension I'd still recommend replacing all three affected parts (trigger bar, safety lever, trigger return spring) just out of an abundance of caution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast