Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Landyards on handheld lights?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the info again everyone! I guess I'm not very handy like that, so never occurred to me to just make my own.

Feedback Score
    I made mine out of two Scünci elastic hair ties and a zip tie after taking a low-light handheld course. Seems to work fairly well with my E1B.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    Thanks for the input. Any good sources for durable lanyards that don't cost much? The one that came with my Surefire is way too long to be practical.
    You might be interested in some of the stuff here:

http://www.lighthound.com/Hardware_c_213.html

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the input. Any good sources for durable lanyards that don't cost much? The one that came with my Surefire is way too long to be practical.
    you are welcome to make it any length you like but it's that length for a reason. the one that came with your surefire should have had two cord locks. I place my wrist between the first and second cord lock and then run the cord over the back of my hand and insert my middle finger inside the small loop between the light and the first cord lock. adjust the amount of dangle inside your hand with the second lock around your wrist. this way I can just drop the light yet it stays within control of my last two fingers...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 06-06-13 at 11:35. Reason: better explanation...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    it's that length for a reason. the one that came with your surefire should have had two cord locks. I place my wrist through the first cord lock and then run the cord over the top of my hand and insert my middle finger through the first and second cord lock. this way I can just drop the light and it dangles on the inside of my hand. adjust the cord locks to vary the amount it hangs...
    Isn't one loop that's just big enough to get your hand through all you need two be able to control the light and let it dangle from the inside of your hand?
    I ended up doing what was suggested above. Cut the cord to my desired length, then heated the cut end. Then I put back the black plastic end cover, and now I have it at an ideal length. Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just wondering if anyone actually has a lanyard attached to their handheld light. I sometimes give thought to this, which would allow me to free up one hand if necessary (opening doors, reloads, etc).
    On the other hand (no pun intended), I also wonder if there's little practical use for one. First, the loop could be caught on objects during daily routines. Also, I actually asked Ken Hackathorn about his in a class and he said though he leaves one on his light, realistically in a stress situation, it's going to be hard to get his wrist in the landyard in a timely manner.
    Any thoughts?
    I have a gear keeper on my handhelds. they are attached to belt or vest. I would say it is prudent. if you are searching with a handheld and you need to ditch the light its nice to have it retained and even retracted.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Isn't one loop that's just big enough to get your hand through all you need two be able to control the light and let it dangle from the inside of your hand?
    I ended up doing what was suggested above. Cut the cord to my desired length, then heated the cut end. Then I put back the black plastic end cover, and now I have it at an ideal length. Thanks guys!
    absolutely. I was just explaining the rationale for two cord locks as supplied by surefire.

but you don't even need cord locks, they just make it more convenient/secure. with a proper sized lanyard you can just place it on your wrist and let it dangle over the top of your hand between your thumb and forefinger.

if you only have one cord lock, shorten it to make a small loop at the light end to go around your middle finger. run the lanyard over the back of your hand. adjust the total length of the lanyard so it doesn't dangle too much off your wrist.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Last edited by ra2bach; 06-06-13 at 11:37.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use 550 cord, and tie slipknot and a bowline. Saved me from losing my EB1 out in the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast