Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Landyards on handheld lights?

Feedback Score
    I have a variety of Surefire lights. I have carried the Z2 in the past, but now almost always have a C2L in the front strong side magazine pocket on the thigh of my Woolrich shorts or pants (depending on weather). I tried the Surefire lanyards(both standard length and shortened) but found they were too bulky and interfered with accessing the light quickly from the pocket. I tried a simple steel 1" diameter keyring as a replacement for the lanyard. I didn't invent this idea but can't remember for sure from whom I stole it, maybe Paul Gomez. The keyring simply attaches to the same attachment point on the light as the lanyard did. When I grab the light my index finger (usually weakhand)slides naturally into the ring. If I need to reload, clear a stoppage, or perform some other task but want to retain the light, I just flick my hand a bit to swing the light around to the back of my hand, with the keyring still around my index finger. The light now fits more easily in the pocket and there's no fumbling when I access the light, compared to using a lanyard. Seems to work well and is a simple inexpensive solution to the problem of retaining a light. I guess the only drawback would be possible damage to my finger if someone snatched the light while it was against the back of my hand. If you try this and it doesn't work for you you're not out much money.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 06-08-13 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I useed with the Surefire factory lanyards & had a few incidents where the clip that attaches the lanyard to the light released when I dropped the light to do my reload, or whatever it was I needed to get the light out of my hand for. They were the ones with the spring loaded gate, not the older one-piece design. I now make my own, it doesn't cost much.

I would not trust the Surefire lanyard as it is delivered. Anyone else have this issue?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have also used the keyring method as described above. As stated it is cheap and effective. A zip tie and a key ring is all that's needed.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    This is how I use my lanyard. I don't keep it on there all the time but when I know I'm going to retention such as when hiking or climbing I put it on.

No wrist for me as I don't like the light dangling or dropping the light if I have to go hands free.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    A lanyard is a must for a tactical flashlight. Think movie theatre active shooter, home invasion. There will be a lot of secondary task for your support hand and it is easy to drop the light under stress. I use gutted 550 cord and a thin black zip tie as a break away. The zip tie is secure but will break away with a swift pull. I know this works as I got my light stuck in the hand rail of our armored vehicle. It would have been a bad day I didn't have the break away.

Feedback Score
    I just use the surefire lanyard ring and shock cord. Quick and easy to loop over the back of my hand as pictured above. I can open doors, reload etc with the light this way

Feedback Score
    I didnt care for dangling lights on lanyards so I began using the steel keyring on my middle or ring finger but recently switched to rubber O-rings. I may give the cinched lanyard (as pictured above) a try.

Feedback Score

Landyards on handheld lights?

So my zip ties won't fit through the lanyard hole of my light so I used two rubber bands to try the key ring trick. It's the bees knees and low profile.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123