Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on Learning New Language

Feedback Score

Input on Learning New Language

Gents, I'm seeking input on learning a new language. I'm curious as to what languages are in demand by employers, particularly from those of you who are familiar with more global workings.

In elementary school we had a Spanish class a few times a week 1-6 grade. I took one year of it in Middle school and 3 years in High school. I remember almost none of it perhaps because I wasn't interested in it and remembered it long enough to pass tests and fulfill requirements.

I'm looking at German and Italian because they pique my interest and Italian is a relative of Spanish. But with my previous education Spanish might make the most sense plus I know it is in high demand in the US. I still have no interest in that one.

What say you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Go with a language that interests you.

I speak Afghan Pashto and Arabic (فصحا and lots of dialects), and haven't cared to find a job that use them. There is a lot to be gained by learning a Latin based language, you can at least gain passable understanding of any similar language just by knowing one well. I'd go with that.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    depending on what your profession is.

I speak pretty portuguese and spanish.
    I use it at work, but its not really work related, but more geared towards my sammich maker...

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I speak quite a few languages fluent, read and write. I has always given me the sense of being a bit more in control and given others less opportunity to **** me over, especially when they do not know you understand every word they say....
    Unfortunately Spanish is NOT one of them, but the one I wish I did. It is a good language to speak, as it is becoming more dominant (good bad or indifferent but it is a fact).

So that's my vote.

I may just go ahead and give it a whirl when I have some time, since shooting is getting a bit too expensive....
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Spanish hands down.. But you'll need to learn the individualized versions (i.e Mexican, various South American, European, etc.) to really make it pay.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What is the predominant second language in your area? Might be easier to find learning partners.

Is there a second language that would be most helpful in your specific line of work? Maybe a trade association rep could help there.

Is there any place on your bucket list? I want to attend a cooking school in northern Italy before I die. So Italian is on the list for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Italian is a poor choice because it is only viable in Italy and parts of Switzerland. Most people a foreign traveler will meet there will speak enough English to satisfy your needs.

German speakers are almost all taught English in school. Same with most of Northern Europe.

Learn Spanish.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That's good news about the Italian, I'm not speedy picking up languages.

Here in Texas, it would be a complete no-brainer to learn Spanish, with Kokopelli's caveats.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I was a German linguist in the Army and while in Germany I spoke it most of the time. Since I got out in 89 I've barely spoken it. If I had a choice it would be Spanish right now. I'm Italian so I'd love to learn my native language but it wouldn't be for any reason other than that. Militarily I would think Spanish, Arabic and the various dialects, Pashto, Mandarin Chinese, Korean and Russian would be the most in demand.

Feedback Score
    Wow, way more responses than I anticipated, thank you all very much.

RyanB - thanks for the heads up on Italian. I was mildly interested in it, but since its use is so isolated, I can scratch that one off.

SeriousStudent - My bucket travel list is heavily dominated by Western Europe. Obviously the UK countries are covered, plus I'm fluent in beer. There are places and things I want to see in Italy, Greece and Germany. Hence why Italian and German were of interest. As far as other locales, I want to see Israel for sure, wouldn't mind stopping in some other mid-eastern countries. I'm mildly interested in Japan or China. I don't see much use for Hebrew or Chinese/Japanese in my future. A duck hunting trip to Argentina is also just about mandatory.

Kokopelli/plydeuces - Spanish would be the most utilitarian for me, and I would venture to say it would be the most useful for any citizen of the US at the rate the language is growing here.

My line of work currently doesn't have a need for foreign language, I work for a nation wide web retailer. Fortunately I'm not on the phones.

I'm far more interested in German, but I imagine I would get the most use of Spanish. We have a large and growing Mexican population here so the local family owned restaurants and food stores would offer great practice in addition to the good food. But I had so many years of Spanish classes with almost 0 retention, which is atypical for me.

If I ever worked in a more international vein, I would prefer Europe vs Latin America.
    Last edited by .46caliber; 06-04-13 at 20:24.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast