Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt spring ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Colt spring ?

Colt rail gun. Has anyone noticed the Colt 1911 springs being "weaker" than other 1911's. When I rack the slide, there is very little resistance, like it has 4000 rounds through already and it's brand new.

So while shooting mine today , I went to the gun counter to rack the slide on another new colt, it too felt weak.

Anyway noticed the same, did you change it out? I am concerned about beating the gun up prematurely.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Colt should have a 16# recoil spring and a 23# mainspring installed from the factory. Have you tried changing it out to see if it is the gun or just your imagination?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    is the colt spring different weight than Springfields or Nighthawks etc?
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know about SA, but I believe Nighthawk rolls with a 19# mainspring and a 17# recoil spring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Colt rail gun. Has anyone noticed the Colt 1911 springs being "weaker" than other 1911's. When I rack the slide, there is very little resistance, like it has 4000 rounds through already and it's brand new.
    So while shooting mine today , I went to the gun counter to rack the slide on another new colt, it too felt weak.
    Anyway noticed the same, did you change it out? I am concerned about beating the gun up prematurely.
    I haven't noticed it being "weaker" to the extent of "very little resistance" in any new Colt I have bought.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Hello,

I just acquired a new COLT Government Model this week and it has the same amount of resistance as the other COLT Government Models (providing they have fresh 16-Lb. recoil springs).

Since you should have a minimum of 5 new recoil springs on hand at all times for each pistol - why not just go ahead and order some new Genuine COLT Recoil Springs and install one and see how it feels.
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    16lb spring for the S&W 1911 as well. I just ordered a few spares from Wolff the other day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Spend a few bucks, buy a new recoil spring and set your mind at ease.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Spend a few bucks, buy a new recoil spring and set your mind at ease.
    Seems to be the consensus. Will do. Any issues with buying a Wilson combat vs Colt. I know the range has them in stock. What lb spring if I have the option, would you choose? I feel confident the Colts are weaker. My thinking was, maybe Colt makes sure they run even if it's tuff on the gun. Thought maybe that was common knowledge.

My son was dry firing my 1911's Last night. So I ask him if it felt " different". He is 12 so he is challenged to rack em sometimes. He can do it, but not easy. He noticed the difference.

I'll let you know how it goes when I change the springs out.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-26-11 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Any issues with buying a Wilson combat vs Colt.
    FWIW: I had a conversation regarding springs with a well known 1911/BHP Pistolsmith awhile back, and paraphrasing him, he said that he couldn't understand the love affair with after market springs and firmly believes that Factory FN-Browning & Factory COLT Springs are the highest quality available for HPs & 1911s. And I fully agree with him.

Here's a thread that shows what you'll get with some "after market" springs. http://www.handgunsandammunition.com...ead.php?t=8244
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast