Thread: DD MK18 pistol suppressor mount?

Feedback Score

DD MK18 pistol suppressor mount?

I'm purchasing a Surefire SOCIM556-RC@ suppressor for my DD MK18 10.3" and have narrowed my choice for a mount to either the Surefire muzzle brake (https://www.surefire.com/products/su...-muzzle-brake/) or the Surefire 3-prong flash hider (https://www.surefire.com/products/su...g-flash-hider/).

I'm leaning towards the latter and the gun will see light to medium usage and the suppressor will be for the most part full-time. Any obvious pros and cons and recommendations on which one to go with?

Separately, I'm looking to upgrade the trigger with either a CMC single stage 3.5# drop-in trigger or a Geissele G2S trigger. Any thoughts/opinions between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There are a lot of posts on here already about which muzzle device for various lengths. If it'll be mostly suppressed, the brake will help the can. When its not though, that thing will be a flashy hammer.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There are a lot of posts on here already about which muzzle device for various lengths. If it'll be mostly suppressed, the brake will help the can. When its not though, that thing will be a flashy hammer.
    Appreciate the response. It will be mostly be suppressed. I read the Pew Science study pitting the warcomp vs the 3 prong and in terms of sound mitigation, looks like the 3 prong wins by a mile so leaning that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rossini View Post
    Appreciate the response. It will be mostly be suppressed. I read the Pew Science study pitting the warcomp vs the 3 prong and in terms of sound mitigation, looks like the 3 prong wins by a mile so leaning that way.
    If it's mostly suppressed, I'm not sure I see the point of using a FH. A brake will act as a sacrificial baffle of sorts, and sound mitigation isn't really high on my list of priorities on a suppressor once you get to a certain threshold. No matter how you cut it, a 10.3" with a can is still going to be loud, one or two dBs less is not going to make any meaningful distinction IMO, unless you plan to consistently shoot it without ear pro (which I'd heavily advise against regardless of muzzle device choice).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    If it's mostly suppressed, I'm not sure I see the point of using a FH. A brake will act as a sacrificial baffle of sorts, and sound mitigation isn't really high on my list of priorities on a suppressor once you get to a certain threshold. No matter how you cut it, a 10.3" with a can is still going to be loud, one or two dBs less is not going to make any meaningful distinction IMO, unless you plan to consistently shoot it without ear pro (which I'd heavily advise against regardless of muzzle device choice).
    But it's not 2 dBs. It's 3x that or over 21% reduction in sound. https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...56rc2-mk18-556

Feedback Score
    Actually, maybe I read that incorrectly. It does look to be only a couple dBs difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rossini View Post
    But it's not 2 dBs. It's 3x that or over 21% reduction in sound. https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...56rc2-mk18-556
    I don't see anything about the brake in that report, it is only comparing the 3 prong flash hider with the closed tine WARCOMP. The report makes the claim that the lack of labyrinth seals on the WARCOMP is the culprit for the extra sound pressure generated compared to the FH; the muzzle brake also has the labyrinth seal, so there is no issue there. The WARCOMP has long been known to be a compromise suppressor mount due to the lack of labyrinth seals, which not only offer measurable (though slight) impacts on sound mitigation, but also makes it easier to be carbon locked (which is already an issue even with the labyrinth seal).

Now, that 2 dB is actually a decent amount of sound energy; 1 dB is a 26% increase, 2 dB is 58%, and 3 dB is 100% (the 3 dB rule states that a 3 dB increase means a doubling of energy). That's why I say that it matters in terms of shooting without ear pro, due to how much damage you'd be doing to your hearing. On the other hand, the human ear is not very well calibrated to actually tell the difference between this sound. The rule of thumb is that a 10 dB difference is needed for a doubling of perceived volume. 1 dB is perceived as 7% louder, 2 dB is at 15%, and 3 dB is 23%.

Still, as someone who shoots suppressed exclusively, I'm not worried about a few dBs of difference, especially since I'm using supersonic ammo. For me signature reduction is much more about flash reduction and changing the tone of the report, rather than maximum sound attenuation.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 03-24-22 at 22:26.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Couple of things, if you are concerned about sound levels 556 is wrong place to start. I dont think any 556 gun is hearing safe with a can especially on a 10.5. If you are at all concerned about db levels I would skip the surefire. That is not that cans strength. Its strengths are low backpressure, flash mitigation, and durability.

As other have said, if its going to be suppressed all the time on a 10.5 I would always go with a break to soften some of the abuse on the blast baffle. Problem being when you take the can off on a 10.5 and run it with a break you are going to have a fireball and the concussion is brutal. If you dont really shot a lot it wont really matter.
    nawai