Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Hornady TAP for HD?

Feedback Score

Which Hornady TAP for HD?

My primary HD weapon is an HK45 loaded with HSTs. An M4 will be a backup. Which TAP is recommended? I know most people go with the 75gr but I want to have the least amount of penetration through sheetrock. Houses here are close together. The lightest TAP be the best?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    somethign light and frangible is probably the way to go. you're unlikely to be facing body armor, and a double tap at 10-20 foot ranges from a carbine will put anyone out of the fight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would stay away from the 75gr (heavy) stuff. I have seen the barrier penetration capabilities of this ammo (Mk262) in Iraq. If it nasty stuff, 1 layer sheet rock would have virtually no effect on it. I would suggest some 55 grain TAP or M193.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like the 75 grain Tap and I selected it as the duty ammo for my department. Anything with sufficient penetration to ensure good stopping power is going to penetrate several walls inside a home. Deal with it and don't miss.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Anything with enough mass and velocity to consistently meet the FBI protocols for penetration will penetrate sheetrock. Most .223/5.56 will penetrate less than your .45 HST though.

The best performing bullet should be selected based on performance when applied to targets. If you are concerned about your childern/loved ones, the best thing you can do is incapacitate the lethal threat inside your home as quickly as possible. While M193 is a decent performer, the best out there right now is the 75gr TAP, which outperforms the 77gr SMKs (MK262 Mod 1) significantly, at all distances, and is very good at close range.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Your primary concern, if you need to deploy your weapon AND shoot someone, should be with stopping that threat.

55gr TAP, and many other .223/5.56rds, are not ideal for meeting the penetration requirments listed above. Which make them a no-go in my mind.

Use the BG as a bullet trap, and use the best round possible. That's 75gr TAP if you want to stick to Hornady.

Feedback Score
    xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-08-09 at 22:11.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Your primary concern, if you need to deploy your weapon AND shoot someone, should be with stopping that threat.

55gr TAP, and many other .223/5.56rds, are not ideal for meeting the penetration requirments listed above. Which make them a no-go in my mind.

Use the BG as a bullet trap, and use the best round possible. That's 75gr TAP if you want to stick to Hornady.
    55 grain served the military pretty well for awhile. i'd hardly call it insufficient. it beats the crap out of a 9mm.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    55 grain served the military pretty well for awhile. i'd hardly call it insufficient. it beats the crap out of a 9mm.
    55 grain ball is ok but it is not nearly as effective as 75 grain Tap. Yes it beats a pistol round. Who cares it beats a sharp stick in the eye as well. If you want the best load going right now for stopping power in a .223/5.56 get 75 grain Tap.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    Not all 55gr bullets are created equal.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast