Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dont put 300blk in a 223......

Feedback Score
    This is the second time I've heard this... One of the AR magazines, can't remember which one, but it was all about the blackout/ whisper cartridges ..Kyle Lamb wrote an article about this same thing happening in a class... The rifle was blown apart.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You definitely want to do what ever it takes to prevent putting the wrong ammo in the gun. For me, I have my 300 BLK upper marked, along with dedicated/marked 300 BLK magazines.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePraetorian View Post
    Given the quality of the receiver and the choices made for customization...it does not in any way surprise me someone would think chambering a 'similar' round would produce a successful shoot......
    One would have to be extraordinarily stupid to think loading a 300 AAC cartridge in a 556 and pulling the trigger is an OK thing to do. I am very doubtful this a case of extraordinarily stupidity, it is almost certainly a case of carelessness or inattention. Poor taste in ARs does not indicate stupidity, merely poor taste. If you think something like this can't happen to you then something like this probably will happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    You definitely want to do what ever it takes to prevent putting the wrong ammo in the gun. For me, I have my 300 BLK upper marked, along with dedicated/marked 300 BLK magazines.
    Good idea. I'm going to do exactly that right now.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 06-15-13 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just tried this. Made two dummy rounds of Sierra 200 grain spitzer boat tail bullets loaded without powder or primer into Remington brass, full length sized. Both chambered with two punches on the FA and not particularly hard punches. It was easier than I thought it would be.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 06-15-13 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    I just tried this. Made two dummy rounds of Sierra 200 grain spitzer boat tail bullets loaded without powder or primer into Remington brass, full length sized. Both chambered with two punches on the FA and not particularly hard punches. It was easier than I thought it would be.
    I admit to being unpleasantly surprised at this finding. I thought it would take extraordinary effort to chamber a 300 in a 5.56 but this proves me wrong.

Tim, can you take photos of how the dummy rounds looked like after being shoved into the 5.56 chamber and post them?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-15-13 at 10:19.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    you guys are overlooking the obvious.
    if this was impossible,
    Silvers would be stomping his feet and raising hell.

His absence here is actually very telling...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Left to right:
    Federal 556, Remington 115 gr 300 AAC, handloaded 300, two dummy 300, Sierra 200 grain bullet.

The Remington factory 115 would not chamber due to the powder charge preventing the bullet from being pushed in deeper. The bullet was pushed in though could not be pushed in deep enough for the bolt to close.. The dummies chambered with ease, even though they have no powder, the charge is a mere 10.0 grains of 296 and I think there is plenty of room in the case.

Now the question is how about a handload with powder?

I made two more dummies and left the spent primers in but powder charged them with the 10 grains of 296. Went right in the 556 chamber, one didn't even need a push on the FA.

This is a real hazard.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 06-15-13 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm damn glad I didn't figure this out the hard way. I am going to seriously sequester my 300 AAC handloads. Same way I seriously sequestered my 458 X 1-1/2" loads when I had one. BTW 458 X 1-1/2 will wreck a 264, 7mm, 300 or 338 magnum. Same as this.

Feedback Score
    MistWolf
    It just proves stupid hurts and is usually very exspensive! Since most factory 300 Blk rounds are neither canlure bullet nor are they crimped just loading them an let the bolt slam shut will allow 300 Blk (115gr,125gr loads especially) chamber an be fired! The first unlucky individual did this stunt got exactly the same result! Just proves that these are not toys folks so KNOW WHAT THE FREAK YOUR LOADING IN YOUR GUNS! A little common sense goes along way- When I shoot my 300 the 5.56mm stays home! When I'm with others who are shooting 5.56mm I tell them to leave my 300 ammo alone!
    Last edited by GunnutAF; 06-15-13 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnutAF View Post
    ......It just proves stupid hurts......
    I would absolutely not call this stupid. Like every other member of this forum I'm sure I am not stupid yet I can see myself doing something like this. Not knowing that it is possible, not paying attention, distracted, in a hurry. The fact is, humans like all living organisms are hard wired to conserve energy and effort. This survival mechanism sometimes works against us when we fail to pay adequate attention to a very familiar situation. It is wise to understand your limitations and the temptation to devote not enough attention to a simple task is a limitation we all share.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 06-15-13 at 20:41.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast