Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Junkyard" builds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"Junkyard" builds.

I figured I might as well post pics of what I call my "junkyard" ARs, mainly because they are sort of a hodgepodge of somewhat "retro" and more current parts.
    Excuse the crappy pics, I still have a 5 megapixel camera.

This started as an attempt to put together something like a Colt 653 and got lost along the way. Parts breakdown as follows:

BCM barreled upper
    BCM BCG
    Magpul MOE handguards w/ Israeli wraps (I find they improve my grip.)
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle
    Chopped carry handle rear sight.
    Cheap Chicom made ladder rail cover
    Stag lower receiver.
    Stag LPK
    M16A1 pistol grip
    Colt receiver extension/"N" stock/"H" buffer/spring/end-plate/castle nut.

The lower was assembled quite a while ago, like a few years ago actually. The reason for the grit tape on the lower receiver stems from the fact that at the time I assembled it I was new to ARs (having been a pretty staunch AK guy up until that point.) so when I'd "index" it I had a bad habit of automatically resting my finger right across the mag release. The grit tape was added to give me some kind of tactile memory to not do that.

Now my midlength.
    BCM 16" barreled upper.
    BCM BCG
    MOE handguards w/ Israeli wraps again.
    BCM charging handle.
    LMT rear sight.
    Chicom ladder rail cover
    Surplus Arms and Ammo SA-15 lower
    Stag LPK
    M16A1 pistol grip + grip tape
    Unknown make (Maybe Stag or Cav Arms?) of CAR stock I got for free from someone I know.
    BCM Receiver extension/castle nut/endplate
    I've actually got a CAR buffer in it right now but if I recall my forum browsing correctly I'd probably be fine putting an "H" buffer in it.

Yes that's a Bulgarian IK-520 40 round magazine in it, I have a few of them I got for kicks. The few times I've used them they've done fine but I intend to test them out some more before really trusting them.

Not pictured are the Spec-Ops Brand Patrol slings I use (though if you look closely at the CAR's barrel you can see where the sling melted to it...oops..)

I have the MOE rails when it's time to add lights and an Aimpoint PRO is in the near future for one of the rifles, probably the midlength.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 06-08-13 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm no brand snob and if your parts bin build functions 100% and does what you need then who cares what they look like or what the pedigree is. With many AR owners its a fashion show and the gun never sees a day of hard use.

Its only a tool, use it as such.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    I'm no brand snob and if your parts bin build functions 100% and does what you need then who cares what they look like or what the pedigree is. With many AR owners its a fashion show and the gun never sees a day of hard use.

Its only a tool, use it as such.
    Agreed, though I did try to use decent parts where it counts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Agreed, though I did try to use decent parts where it counts.
    Definitely, BCM barreled uppers, bcg's and BCM & colt rec extensions says it all. Nice pair of rifles, thanks for sharing.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am digging it... good parts where needed and otherwise utilitarian. I tend to think alot of AR accessorizing is going way too "Gucci" and really unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

"Junkyard" builds.

My parts guns always have a special place in the safe. Thumb up!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well I figured I'd post an update to my humble builds....

The midlength now has an Aimpoint PRO, a hogue grip, Phantom flash hider and and a "Type E" M16A1 fixed stock. Forgive the poor quality pic, I still have a 5 megapixel camera for some reason....

With the Aimpoint mounted I found myself not liking the way the Midlength balanced with the CAR stock, it seemed a bit muzzle heavy. So I stuck the fixed A1 stock on it. The result is that it is heavier overall but balances better. The arrangement pictured is how I had it set up for the carbine class that I took recently (It was mostly an "intro" class, which I felt was prudent since I've never had any formal training.) The rifle performed fine, I used mostly 30 round Pmags, but did use those Bulgarian 40s a few times as well. Perhaps not surprisingly, I was the only guy there with a fixed stock carbine...even the one AK user had a telestock on his weapon.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 08-06-13 at 22:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I kinda like it with the fixed stock. How far did the fixed stock move the center of gravity?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I kinda like it with the fixed stock. How far did the fixed stock move the center of gravity?
    unloaded with the sling detached and no mag inserted it will balance itself at about the front portion of the magwell.
    Here's a crappy, unscientific visual aid.

I propped a baby gate up between my coffee table and an air conditioner and placed the rifle on it in such a way that it would balance itself, it even stayed put when the cat jostled the gate while i was taking the pic.
    I'm not sure exactly how it's current center of gravity compares to that of it's original CAR-stocked incarnation since I didn't really test it at that time, I just knew it *felt* somewhat less than ideal to me.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That thing has quality parts where it matters - I'm mostly replying to this thread so I can reference it later when new people or idiots are trying to justify more expensive rifles that look more tacticool, but are lacking in important ways - this is the better route.

I really liked the look of that thing with the retro collapsing stock, but if you shoot better with the fixed stock, then drive on proudly.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast