Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Junkyard" builds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Good on you for posting up your build. They're a pair of nice looking rifles, both before and after. I did something similar to you, but with a twist. I decided to build an AR, but only using used parts. (Where I could.) My criteria was that the part had to be from a verifiable source (meaning a person I trusted.) or it was obvious to me that the part was in good shape. In the end I had an MOA rifle (more or less) that I built for just under $500. i imagine some people would dog on some of the brand choices, but in the end, it was just a solid, trustworthy rifle that banged every time i wanted it to bang. I learned some valuable lessons during that process, and it was pretty fun too. Especially sourcing the parts. I called it my Used Car AR (UCAR) because it was like 5 different colors at one time, like some jalopy sold off of "Honest Abe's Used Cars and Emporium". lol.
    That's cool. Back over the summer I built an AR that included a lot of lightly-used spare parts that I had kicking around the basement. The result was kind of weird looking but with a bit less than 1700 rounds through it (I'd have to check my log to get the exact amount) has thus far turned out to be a surprisingly good gun. It had it's own thread several months back. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...y)-spare-parts

Last edited by Circle_10; 01-16-19 at 01:33.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A "used/spare parts" gun. Went for a light(er) weight carbine.
    Shoots at 1.5" at 100 with 69 gr. IMI.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mines was an attempt at a Geissele URG socom build but went sideways quickly.

Sbrd Colt M4a1 receiver with mk8 rail as I was broke and a 150 usd blemish rail sounds good. Upper and lower are Colt that was cerakoted green by previous owner....thick and ugly as hell but sold on fun broker for 150 for both upper and lower.
    It's on a 14.5 socom barrel and lmt stock...both hand me downs from another buddy.

Now sports a troy buis and aimpoint compm2.

Dreams sometimes end up being a rest stop

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prdubi; 01-16-19 at 09:26.
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Those are too nice. You guys need to think clunkier and uglier! J/k

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well the next installment in this saga continues. Now with more questionable decisions....

Remember ol' #2?

So uh, yeah....about that.....

It looks like like this now.

The other day I finally decided that the setup with the Steiner P4XI wasn't doing it for me. The gun shot fairly well with it but I never really loved the configuration. It was always kind of an ad hoc wannabe-DMR. I tried to like it, as with the LPVO it was arguably my most capable AR, and I was thus constantly trying to convince myself to be more fond of it than I was. But the reality is that once I put the Steiner on it, it rapidly became one of my least favorite ARs to shoot. It became, to me, heavy and clunky, and while capable of accurate shooting never really seemed accurate enough for the role I had foisted upon it.
    So we are back to irons, and I'm sheepishly admitting that I vastly prefer this gun now to the way that it was. I realize that I just actually went backwards in terms of capability.
    The gun is running lean now, no optics or lights, although I do have a mounting point to attach a light if need be. I have a cheap 900 lumen Primary Arms weapon light I can stick on there if the need were to arise. I tested that light on this gun back when I still had the scope on it and POI exhibited either minimal or no shift.

But I already have a couple of dedicated light-wearing ARs more suited for HD and "after dark" problems anyway.

I already know the gun is reliable as it's been shot quite a bit so the next order of business was to get it zeroed with the carry handle.
    The first 11 shots covered by pasties are from me dialing the sights in. Then the ten holes are the last two groups which led me to rule it zeroed (it's possible it might need like one more click right but now we are in to margin of error territory). Ten shots, under 3", with irons and xm193 at 100 yards is pretty good for my bad eyes so I'll take it.

I just like the gun a lot more now. If I could change one thing about it I think I'd want a lightweight barrel on it instead of the government profile.
    While this gun isn't my "favorite" AR, it arguably would be my pick in a hypothetical "if I could only have one" scenario. Although in that situation I would probably go back to the pre-LPVO configuration with an Aimpoint instead of running irons. I'm not crazy about the weight up front with the gov't barrel, (and this would get worse with a light mounted, particularly that pig of a Primary Arms light) but it's not too bad, it's not quite short or light enough to be an ideal HD gun but it's also not too long or heavy to fill that role, and while its accuracy in a psuedo-DMR role was merely "OK", it's accuracy as a general purpose rifle is quite acceptable.

Eventually I'll build a gun more suited for use with the Steiner as well.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-29-19 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I approve of your most recent changes to #02. Not that you needed approval from anybody let alone myself, but you got a big thumbs up from yours truly.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    ^what he said.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, it may end up with an optic again at some point but it'll be either a 1x red dot or some sort of compact PA prism or, if I want to get spendy, an ACOG, but for now I'll keep it irons only.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123