Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Junkyard" builds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    That thing has quality parts where it matters - I'm mostly replying to this thread so I can reference it later when new people or idiots are trying to justify more expensive rifles that look more tacticool, but are lacking in important ways - this is the better route.

I really liked the look of that thing with the retro collapsing stock, but if you shoot better with the fixed stock, then drive on proudly.
    Thanks.
    I like the way it looked in that configuration as well in all honesty, so I may do a "Version 2.0" of it with a lightweight mid-length upper at some point. It didn't handle *badly* at all but it just didn't feel quite right once I'd put the Aimpoint on it.
    I'm pretty satisfied with how the fixed stock incarnation handles though, only changes I'm mulling over are doing something to the buttplate so it grips my clothing a bit better when I shoulder it and maybe at some point trying a low-magnification optic and a folding rear sight combo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Necropost: Junkyard Retrospective....

Figured I'd revisit this five year old thread with a look at what has changed with these two guns and what's the same.
    One thing you might notice are the numbers on the stocks. Since building a bunch of other ARs I've started maintaining a notebook keeping track of the approximate round counts, parts replacement (For instance, #1 just had its gas rings replaced last night and I noted that), any malfunctions etc.. of my different guns and this is easier to do if I just number the guns vs trying to remember what gun has what number of rounds through it.

We'll work backwards and start with #2.
    As it looks today:

This gun actually went into more or less storage and didn't get shot at all for about three years. Only last fall did I start shooting it regularly again.
    I'm still doing the fixed-stock thing. Although now the stock in question is a Brownells repro Type D, and I'm saving my actual A1 stocks for additional Retro builds. FCG is the ALG ACT. Handguard has been changed out to the BCM PKMR and BCM foregrip. I also recently changed out the Phantom for a Surefire three prong flash hider.
    Two major component changes are: A new BCG - Bravo Company replaced my original one last winter when I had a gas key screw shear during a range trip, which turned the gun into a single shot.
    And a different lower receiver...I was having another minor function quirk last year that I thought was related to the lower receiver so I transferred everything over to an Aero lower I had. As it turned out the issue had nothing to do with the lower. I guess technically having a different lower makes it a different gun, but I consider it the same one.
    The biggest change in terms of capability on this gun though is going from an Aimpoint PRO to a Steiner P4xi 1-4x. I found that with my eyes I needed to use the more front-biased SPR style mount to get proper eye relief with the scope. The rear sight was changed from the LMT A2 style to Magpul MBUS sights that stay folded down all the time. Eventually when this barrel gets shot out I'll go with a free floated barrel and handguard arrangement but for now it still shoots fairly well as is, considering how it's configured.
    While far from an SPR, I do consider this my "extended range" AR for the time being. The Israeli handguard bands now hold a torx wrench in place on the gun in the event I were to need to remove the scope due to damage and use the backups.

Here's my best group of the day from a recent range trip.

1.25". As you can see from the pasties my worst group of the day was on this target too, like over 3", totally atrocious and not normal for me or the gun. Id like to blame the high winds that day for that group but I more likely just F'd up somehow. The other pasty covered group there measured about 1.75" IIRC, which is a more "typical" sized group for this gun/optic/ammo combo.

The carbine on the first page, now know as #1, also got a makeover.

The most obvious change is that it now has a fixed stock too. I developed a liking for fixed stock ARs with the Mid-length above back in 2013 and have since gone that route with a couple carbine-gas guns as well. The gun was also rattle-canned, and over time outfitted with an Aimpoint PRO, a Surefire G2x, BCM PKMR handguard and VFG, and an ALG ACT.
    While my lighter, adjustable stock carbines, or my other fixed stock carbine with a Primary Arms 2.5x on it might be what I chuck in the Jeep for the day when I'm out and about and want a long gun handy in the unlikely event I need one, ol' #1 is the gun most often pulling HD at night and would probably be the gun I would grab in a situation where I had more expectation of needing an AR.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 10-24-18 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A1 stock is highly underrated.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    A1 stock is highly underrated.
    Agreed. I had a 10.5 with the A1 for a long time. Loved it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've given serious thought to SBR'ing #1 and going with an 11.5 or 12.5" barrel for it, quite possibly one still sporting the standard fixed FSB because I'm apparently very slow to modernize.....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Awesome thread.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 10-30-18 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I've given serious thought to SBR'ing #1 and going with an 11.5 or 12.5" barrel for it, quite possibly one still sporting the standard fixed FSB because I'm apparently very slow to modernize.....
    FSB is on all of my serious/moderately serious use guns. I've broken/had issues with too much of the high speed stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oh I'm still pretty "low speed" most of the time for sure. I still frequently use ARs with fixed carry-handle uppers as "toss in the jeep for the day" guns. As a bonus the carry handle provides a convenient place to loop a cable lock through if I'm going to be away from the vehicle for a few.
    The lightweight iron-sighted stuff with collapsible stocks (The old CAR style of course) are what I most often grab for those times I want a rifle along for the ride but know I probably won't actually need one - which is pretty much every time honestly, I live in a low crime state and tend to be fairly effective at minding my own business and staying out of trouble. In terms of portability in a situation where it's very unlikely to actually be used, a 5lb 13oz Colt 6520 usually makes more sense than that Mid-length with an LPVO on it.

But on the other hand, guns #1 or #2 are currently what would get selected in a legit "Uh oh..." situation.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    These are awesome!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Good on you for posting up your build. They're a pair of nice looking rifles, both before and after. I did something similar to you, but with a twist. I decided to build an AR, but only using used parts. (Where I could.) My criteria was that the part had to be from a verifiable source (meaning a person I trusted.) or it was obvious to me that the part was in good shape. In the end I had an MOA rifle (more or less) that I built for just under $500. i imagine some people would dog on some of the brand choices, but in the end, it was just a solid, trustworthy rifle that banged every time i wanted it to bang. I learned some valuable lessons during that process, and it was pretty fun too. Especially sourcing the parts. I called it my Used Car AR (UCAR) because it was like 5 different colors at one time, like some jalopy sold off of "Honest Abe's Used Cars and Emporium". lol.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast