Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PISTOL PRIMERS IN .223

Feedback Score

PISTOL PRIMERS IN .223

Some years ago, probably 7-8, I primed & loaded 100 rounds of .223 before I realized I'd used pistol primers. My note doesn't mention what brand of primers, but it's almost surely Winchester. I'd put them aside. Now, with shortages of most everything needed to feed our AR's I'm wondering if I can safely shoot them? I could also shoot them in a Savage Tactical. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As far as I know the only danger is not getting a "hot enough" burn and not igniting all of the powder. The cups are not as hard either. I would feel comfortable trying some being careful of a squib but iI have never really looked into it much.

Feedback Score
    Don't do it. The standard small pistol primers aren't meant for that kind of pressure. Even worse in an AR with the possibility of slam fires.
    Last edited by Corse; 06-08-13 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    This^

Feedback Score
    Don't do it. For all the reasons stated above. Best case scenario is inconsistent weak ignition. Worst case scenario is pierced primers, or a bullet lodged in the barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    shoot more pistol!

Feedback Score
    DON'T! Pistol primer cups aren't hard enough for rifle pressures. A missfire could be the best outcome. Slamfires or pierced/ruptured primers are likely.
    I am not legal in CA, NY, NJ, MA, CO, CT, MD, Washington DC or Chicago (and its suburbs).

I am not Obama compliant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used srp for pistol and spp for rifle during this drought when I can't find proper components. I don't condone this practice but I worked up a new load beginning at the starting load and watched closely for pressure signs...ymmv
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just a hundred rounds? I'd pull them down and recycle everything into a new batch of ammo.

I'm running the Forster Collet bullet puller die with is ideal for these kind of projects. The kinetic hammer sucks for 223 most of the time.... bullet is too light.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I agree the hammer does suck. I'll have to look into the Forester for the next time I make a mistake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast