Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats an old model Blackhawk worth?

Feedback Score

Whats an old model Blackhawk worth?

The one in question is a @6.5 in (measured) .44 magnum.

It has three screws, feels kinda light for what it is, blued, flat top. No ears around the rear adjustable sight. It has the flat hammer, no transfer bar.

The wood Ruger grip has a little character but I wonder if it's the grip that came with the gun because the gun is truly like new. Not a scratch on it and it's probably never seen 50 rounds if any at all.

Judging from it's attributes I think it was made around 1960. What should I pay for it? I don't need it. But it would be fun to shoot .44 specials and just a few factory .44 mag loads from it. $350?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The one in question is a @6.5 in (measured) .44 magnum.

It has three screws, feels kinda light for what it is, blued, flat top. No ears around the rear adjustable sight. It has the flat hammer, no transfer bar.

The wood Ruger grip has a little character but I wonder if it's the grip that came with the gun because the gun is truly like new. Not a scratch on it and it's probably never seen 50 rounds if any at all.

Judging from it's attributes I think it was made around 1960. What should I pay for it? I don't need it. But it would be fun to shoot .44 specials and just a few factory .44 mag loads from it. $350?
    I'm not an expert on these but from different articles/forum threads, I believe this is a very desireable model. If this is available for you to buy, buy it! 350.00 is great price in the condition described.
    Last edited by Lacos; 06-11-13 at 00:27. Reason: Added info

Feedback Score
    A steal at twice the price !!

Feedback Score
    If you can get that piece for $350.00, grab it and run like hell.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Ask the experts

at Rugerforum.com, or get comps from gunbroker.com. Real world prices a buyer paid somebody for the twin of your gun.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    Okay I took it another look at it. It's not "like new" seeing it in better light.

It's been fired very little that's for sure, but does have a couple marks on it from being carried/handled. It's still in very good shape.

I traded for it. (around $400 worth) It also came with 200 rnds of "Hanson Cartridge Co." "combat" .44 mag rounds! 180 gr SJHP. Made by IMI in Israel.

Anyone know what the specs are on these?

I'll post up a pic when I have time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A 6.5" flattop Super Blackhawk is a rare bird. First, make sure that it's not 7.5"--measure from the cylinder face, not the front edge of the frame.

Do your research from there, but $350-400 is a freaking steal.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you did real well on that deal, if this is your first magnum revolver you'll enjoy it. Once you find loads it likes you will discover that it will probably make all your semi-autos seem inaccurate in comparison. Particularly as ranges increase and you get the full benefit of making 240gr bullets go fast, and shoot flat. You'll be getting good consistent hits out to distances you simply won't get as easily with a semi-auto pistol.

I have a Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull and I think of it as a light weight rifle that I carry in a holster.

Feedback Score
    As for value depending on condition you could probably get $400-$600 out of it. There are some collectors out there that really favor the old 3 screw models that have not been converted.

Feedback Score
    Sorry it's not a good pic, but here it is.

I've owned a .44 mag before. Honestly I enjoyed firing .44 specials from it. Low pressure, soft nudge of recoil, big thump down range.

Oh, I remeasured and it is a 6.5 in from the cylinder face. I won't fire it much and don't know how long I'll keep it. It's very attractive, feels right in the hand, and the front sight comes up very naturally with no practice or adjustment even though I almost only fire Glock pistols anymore.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-15-13 at 19:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast