Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optics Options

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    May want to check Optics Planet prices once you decide on the scope. I'm also looking for a better scope. Currently have a MK2 T2 Tactical 4X12 Leopould on my LMT MWS.
    One thing about Optics Planet; they will frequently have items listed that are not actually in stock. I have gotten some good deals from them, but I have also been burned a few times, be warned.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I were getting a 16" carbine, I would top it with a low-power variable in the 1-6 or 1-8 power range. 6-8x is enough power to make hits on a man-sized target right out to the max effective range of a 16" 308. Plus, many of them are reasonable light/compact in comparison to a much larger 4-16x50 (or similar) variable.

The Leupold VX6 1-6x is a solid choice - very lightweight, good glass, excellent Aimpoint-like illumination, and sturdy. The only issue is the reticle choices are not 100% ideal for a tactical situation. But it can be had for ~$800, and Mil dials are available.

I personally have a Trijicon TR24 on my SPR, with a 4x top end it is a little bit short on power for 300+ yd shots.

My dream optic would be a US Optics SR8. There was a review posted on M4C of it - it is worth a read just to drool for sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    One thing about Optics Planet; they will frequently have items listed that are not actually in stock. I have gotten some good deals from them, but I have also been burned a few times, be warned.
    Caveat Emptor... They're a lot like Botach. Some reading on another site which is just one of numerous thread discussing them.

http://forum.snipershide.com/s4-snip...r-again-3.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    6-8x is enough power to make hits on a man-sized target right out to the max effective range of a 16" 308.
    What exactly do you think the "max effective range of a 16" 308" is?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: Optics Options

Quote Originally Posted by OrdnanceLocker View Post
    What exactly do you think the "max effective range of a 16" 308" is?
    I know that you weren't directing this at me, and I understand the purpose of the pointed question, so this really isn't directed at you, but rather to share information:

Max effective range on a point target with a 16" 7.62 rifle is 1,000 meters by military standards, and is used past that in training and combat by trained precision marksmen.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I know that you weren't directing this at me, and I understand the purpose of the pointed question, so this really isn't directed at you, but rather to share information:

Max effective range on a point target with a 16" 7.62 rifle is 1,000 meters by military standards, and is used past that in training and combat by trained precision marksmen.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Exactly... I used a an ST-10 for awhile and it worked great out to 1250 on a full size IPSC and a 66% at 950 but I highly doubt at 6x I would see enough of anything to make any sort of necessary corrections. It was beginning to sound like someone might be going the direction that I hear all the time where people think a 308 falls out of the sky at 800 lol.
    Last edited by OrdnanceLocker; 06-13-13 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    If I were getting a 16" carbine, I would top it with a low-power variable in the 1-6 or 1-8 power range. 6-8x is enough power to make hits on a man-sized target right out to the max effective range of a 16" 308. Plus, many of them are reasonable light/compact in comparison to a much larger 4-16x50 (or similar) variable.

The Leupold VX6 1-6x is a solid choice - very lightweight, good glass, excellent Aimpoint-like illumination, and sturdy. The only issue is the reticle choices are not 100% ideal for a tactical situation. But it can be had for ~$800, and Mil dials are available.

I personally have a Trijicon TR24 on my SPR, with a 4x top end it is a little bit short on power for 300+ yd shots.

My dream optic would be a US Optics SR8. There was a review posted on M4C of it - it is worth a read just to drool for sure.

I went with the Leupold 1.1-8X34 on my SR25 and I can get hits pretty consistant out to 1K on IPSC steel.

During one session, I hit the hostage style center, the cut out that flaps open, 3 out of 5 shots during one string. I guess the Gods were shining on me that day ..

I feel a 1-6 / 1-8 are definitely a great option to consider on a battle rifle and I was in the LAV BR class with F2S where I saw what he could do at 1K yards with 6X optic..Made me a believer that day that anything is possible..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have an M&P-10 (18" barrel) on layaway and plan to mount a 2.5x10 Nightforce on it. It should give me a package that's versatile, compact, light and rugged
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I agree. Ordered a Nikon M308 from them for my M&P10. I got an email 2 days later saying "out of stock- no estimate on availability." Cancelled my order with them and got one from Natchez Shooters supply.
    Last edited by fdxpilot; 06-15-13 at 00:00.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12