Thread: Dieter CQD Sling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Dieter CQD Sling

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Dieter CQD sling or any reliable reports on the Navy's use of the sling with the Mk18?

I'm intrigued by the Dieter sling because of the ability to switch from a one point to a two point without changing the sling or the mounts. I currently use a Gear Sector ASP one point, and it is quite useful, but sometimes I'd like the added stability that a 2 point setup provides. The ability to switch back and forth is very appealing.

Welcome any comments!

Feedback Score
    My brothers a SEAL and I believe the only time he used it was during their SQT training in the 3rd phase of BUDS. He currently uses a ZM weapons single point on his issue gun with a zip tie around the clasp to keep it from opening. His buddy had a ZM without a zip tie open during a fast rope insertion on a ship which caused his M4 to fall to the deck. Cant speak for all SEAL's or the Navy this is all the info I know on it. I know one of his Chiefs was making a sling at one point that he said was a real simple single point I guess like the ZM sling would like to see it as he spoke highly of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Dieter CQD sling or any reliable reports on the Navy's use of the sling with the Mk18?

I've been using one for a few years now, primarily as a single point sling. I originally got it because it was long enough to go around me (most single point slings are not). I didn't know it was intended to be a dual-purpose sling, actually, but I figured it would be long enough for me to use it as a single point. The amount of "bungee" in it is about perfect. You have the freedom the bungee allows, but it's not as "bouncy" as the ZM or similar slings that are all bungee, and can clock you if you're not careful (I used to use a ZM extended for me with 550 cord, so I know what they're like).

I don't have any experience outside of wearing it around the house to feel what it's like in the two-point configuration. It's not adjustable on the fly like a VTAC sling, so it's not much better than a carry strap in two point mode, except for a little additional freedom of movement due to the bungee sections.

Feedback Score
    The actual webbing itself is not bad on the sling, it's just the most important factor of the sling, which is the connection point. Those HK clips suck something aweful, I would trust a small ziptie (not literally) before I would trust those clips. Years ago we used to tape the gates of the clip, and they still would break free somehow. We finally got tired of doing that bullshit so we starting using our team guy ingenuity to further enhance our slings (see my post of new sling pics).