Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Pistol Training in NY State,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I Need Pistol Training in NY State,

Hey Guys,

I got my pistol permit a little over half a year ago. Before that I shot a few pistols here and there by (prior to the NY CT bans) my father was a bit of a fudd. He taught me how to shoot rifles really well, but not much experience on the pistol front other then a half dozen or so plinking sessions here and there.

I have about 1000 rounds through pistols of various calibers in the last several months. I'm getting better, but I'm at a point of frustration.

All of my shots are low, grouping is OK with some fliers (to be expected as I get better), but I'm consistently low. I really want to do some training. My issue though is that I'm not a beginner shooter, so I don't want to take a "pistols for dummies" course. 95% of the shots I'm taking are on paper with this target:

I'm thinking I need to get some professional help to bring my shots in to dead center though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good, no bull trainers in the Hudson Valley area? I am willing to drive about 3 hours one way to attend a class.
    Last edited by Mac5.56; 06-11-13 at 20:56.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Chris Fry can give you some solid instruction.

http://www.mdtstraining.com

Mike

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Where do you live? I will help, or give you names if you don't live by me. I'm south of Rochester
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We probably live very close to each other. I have a pistol rifle range across the street from my home. If you wish we could do some ball and dummy drills, to sharpen your skills.
    PM me if interested.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey everyone, thanks for the response.

I am in contact with my friend on the Ulster County SWAT team and he has offered to help me out with some basics and drills. I will reach out to you SJC if this falls through. ICANHITHIMMAN: You're a little far away from me but if I'm ever in the area for anything I will hit you up!

Thanks for the link to the trainer. They will be really close to me for a Practical Shotgun Course so I will be following the site to see if they come near me in the future for pistol stuff.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    Hi Mac, I can't recommend Chris Fry enough. He's not as well known as some of the famous trainers but I would put him in the top rank. I've had instruction from him twice and changed my procedures around because of it. He's very smart and really thinks things through in a way that other trainers may not. I was at a tactical conference on a Saturday and failing badly in front of 20 or so students. It didn't bother me terribly because I was learning a ton about running a pistol one handed. The next day Chris found me and asked what was I going to do about it. The answer was change from a Glock 26 to something easier to run one handed( Smith M&P) because of the rear sight. Most people I've trained with won't seek you out the next day to push you. That really impressed me. I've been watching Chris closely ever since. In the NY, NJ area Chris kind of has the territory to himself. A lot of trainers don't want to go to NY because of the politics. Chris is already there and doing a great job for folks in that area. I'm from a free state so going to NY is problematic for me, especially now that the SAFER Act is law. I'm not sure of where I stand in regards to travelling to NY now. I have to get in contact with Chris to check that out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I got my pistol permit a little over half a year ago. Before that I shot a few pistols here and there by (prior to the NY CT bans) my father was a bit of a fudd. He taught me how to shoot rifles really well, but not much experience on the pistol front other then a half dozen or so plinking sessions here and there.

I have about 1000 rounds through pistols of various calibers in the last several months. I'm getting better, but I'm at a point of frustration.

All of my shots are low, grouping is OK with some fliers (to be expected as I get better), but I'm consistently low. I really want to do some training. My issue though is that I'm not a beginner shooter, so I don't want to take a "pistols for dummies" course. 95% of the shots I'm taking are on paper with this target:

I'm thinking I need to get some professional help to bring my shots in to dead center though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good, no bull trainers in the Hudson Valley area? I am willing to drive about 3 hours one way to attend a class.
    Didn't see this before and tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through. Anyway, you were trying to help me with a range and I could help you here if you'd like. PM me or send to my d_rocca @hotmail.com address for details.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would make contact with Ben Dewalt at OnSight Firearms Training. He can get you squared away.
    http://www.onsightfirearmstraining.com/

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretz Tactical Inc View Post
    If your near Westchester County, I have a couple of 1 day VSM basic pistol classes coming up: http://www.stretztactical.com/course-dates/
    for your tactical carbine course, am i to assume that 30 rd. mags are off limits?
    Last edited by Sentaruu; 06-30-13 at 10:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast