Thread: Trigger and optics recommendation for 450 bushmaster.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Trigger and optics recommendation for 450 bushmaster.

I just bought a 16" 450 bushmaster upper to solely hunt with in the coming years. It is legal in the shotgun zone in lower Michigan. I am going to either slap it on a PSA built lower, or build up an Anderson lower I just bought. What do you guys recommend for a trigger? This isnt a competition gun, but I want a nice clean, predicable break.

Also, what optics are you guys running? It is solely a hunting rifle, so tactical optics are pointless. I was thinking a 2-7 would be about perfect. I noticed Cabelas has Nikon buckmaster 3-9's on sale for dirt cheap and was leaning that direction. Any opinion on the Buckmaster?

Last but not least, a good mount/rings that will stand up to recoil.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a 1-4x24 leatherwood in a pepr mount on mine. Stock trigger. Very accurate. I haven't shot it over 200 yards though, and I can't deer hunt with it yet here in IL. Probably never will be able to.

Feedback Score
    If you're looking for horns, you might want something in the 2.5-10 range.
    3-9 might be cheaper.
    For the trigger, you'll have to state your budget so folks can recommend something feasible and not shoot in the dark.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm in Michigan too. I run a PA 1-6. I like the circle dot reticle, most of my shots are 50-150yds. I run a stock trigger. I'm not looking to make a 500yd shot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    $200 or less on the trigger. I saw a sale on a POF for $140, are they any good?

Iraqvet, link to the primary arms? How much are they?
    Last edited by Dirty_H; 04-20-15 at 06:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Running a nikon 3x9 on my deer rifle...works great, no issues, no fog, accuarate and I think nikon is often underrated...look at their camera lenses and tech, some of the best out there. And I'm a huge trijicon and leupold fan!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the price you're paying for Nikon rifle scope, you ain't gonna get the same optical quality as the Japanese made Nikkor professional lens.

For a hunting AR, I like the SSA.

For an optic, look at a low powered variable with good optical quality. Optical quality trumps magnification and added features.

Aero Precision makes the best scope mount for the money in my book. Light, rugged and affordable- the unbeatable trifecta
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Very true...but for an economical scope it's not a bad option.

Feedback Score
    I built a 450B for Ohio deer season last year. (OK it's technically a "pistol" that happens to have a Sig brace and an 18" barrel) I used a ALG ACT trigger with JP "yellow" springs and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 variable with BDC.

The terrain I hunt is tight timber with occasional clearings and field edges. I have traditionally hunted this area with a rifled shotgun and a fixed 4X Leupold scope.
    My observations from using the 450B in this configuration last season are as follows:

1. I think I like using a fixed power (4X) scope better than the variable. It was too tempting to crank the scope up to 9X when on field edges and then I would forget to crank it back down once I was back in timber or in my stand. The deer I harvested was nice enough to wait for me to crank the power down from 9 to 3X so I could take the 25 yard shot he presented. (This may not always be the case) A fixed 4X seems to be the sweet spot for for me on shots between 20 and 120 yards. (This is the range where 99% of my deer are harvested)

2. If money is no object, by all means go with a $250 - $300 trigger. However, for basic hunting use at the relatively short range of a 450B (lets say less than 250 yards), I was very happy with the ACT trigger and do not believe it would contribute to accuracy issues under field conditions at conceivable hunting distances . (Especially compared with the trigger found on the average shotgun) Granted, it's not the trigger I would pick for "Long Range" or "Three Gun" competition, but it feels much nicer than a factory AR trigger.

3. It kills white-tails dead :-)

Good Luck,
    Blute