Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling on latest 308 Selection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Talking Struggling on latest 308 Selection

It's time for another 308. As most of you probably do, I research like crazy as to which rifle is best for my intended use. My intended use and desire is an accurate battle rifle/hunting rifle that can also serve some duty as a bench rest rifle as well. I have narrowed it down to the following with my thoughts after each.
    1. HK MR762A1- Battle tested (416/417) with robust build and quality parts. Accuracy appears to be very good for battle rifle, however, quite heavy. Price is expensive as are Mags.
    2. Scar 17s- Battle tested. High quality rifle. Accuracy not as good as HK, however, substantially cheaper. Mags and parts harder to get.
    3. KAC SR25 (any of them) Battle tested and very accurate. Most expensive by far. The pinnacle many would say.
    4. Gap 10-- Very accurate, however, not sure if it can be called a battle rifle and whether it would stand up to abuse as well as the above. Optioned out about the same price as HK.
    5. Larue OBR-- basically same comments as the GAP.
    6. LMT MWS-- Battle tested and very accurate. Almost as good as KAC, however, much cheaper. (Assuming Cl barrel) Slightly less in cost than HK.
    7. JP Lrp 07-- Not battle tested. A competition gun with no indication as to durability under tough circumstances. Obviously very accurate.
    8. Colt 901-- Good price, however, I've heard of not so good accuracy. Very little info on how durable it is.

Which one would you pick, taking somewhat into account the cost. I have another 308 Carbine that is my bench rest girl already. As such, I want a rifle that can bench rest, that I can hunt with and one to help repel the inevitable invasion of angry canadians

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    KAC would be my first choice, the Scar 17 is an awesome all around battle rifle, and the LMT is the best bang for the buck.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    You'd probably be best served by either the SR25 or the MR762 if you want an accurate rifle. As far as weight goes, if you can't hoist up a MWS then you'd better look hard for a SCAR. All of the rifles you mentioned are going to be over 9 pounds once you put anything on them after loading them up.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a true "battle and bench" grade rifle though since those are two very different applications. You might have better luck choosing which application you'll want more and go with that when choosing your new rifle.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    I have a SR25 EMC that has been updated asthetically to the current ECC and while it's a tough pil to swallow financially, KAC, IMO has darn near perfected this platform.

Accuracy is SUB MOA capable, reliable with everything I've fed it so far, and light enough for me to run similar to a 5.56 rifle.

If Price is an issue, I would think about buying the LMT MWS LM8 and have the barrel turned down to reduce some weight. Haven't seen any numbers or reports if anyone has done this or how it's affected performance but, it's worth considering.

I also own an OBR and have friends with PredeTAR's but, they are very picky rifles from my personal experience and not one I would have confidence in running a ton of rounds through in a short period of time.
    Last edited by jbo723; 06-12-13 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks

All great info. Keep it coming. I think I prefer an accurate battle rifle, as opposed to a bench rest rifle that might be able to serve as a battle rifle. Dependability is a top priority.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    All great info. Keep it coming. I think I prefer an accurate battle rifle, as opposed to a bench rest rifle that might be able to serve as a battle rifle. Dependability is a top priority.
    If that is the case i would look at the Scar. It may not be a sub moa rifle, most are 1.5-2, but it is lightweight and utterly reliable. Or spend the cash and get the KAC.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 06-12-13 at 12:27.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Then you'd want to take a hard look at a SR25 or SCAR. I hear that the MR762 is proving to be quite good in terms of accuracy but I don't know that much about its long term reliability. If its built anything like the MR556 then you don't need to second guess the weapon's longevity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

MR762

I've heard great things about its accuracy unless others have heard otherwise. It almost seems to fit right in between the SCAR and the KAC in terms of cost and accuracy. It is a heavy pig though. The question is if it is a better rifle than a SCAR or more dependable than an LMT, as I know the LMT has a great reputation for accuracy. F ' Me. Why can't I just have enough money to buy all three of these

Feedback Score
    It is not significantly heavier than any 308 other than the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    I've heard great things about its accuracy unless others have heard otherwise. It almost seems to fit right in between the SCAR and the KAC in terms of cost and accuracy. It is a heavy pig though. The question is if it is a better rifle than a SCAR or more dependable than an LMT, as I know the LMT has a great reputation for accuracy. F ' Me. Why can't I just have enough money to buy all three of these
    I do not have any experience with the MR762 besides fondling at the Shot Show.

The lack of magazine availability is what turns me off with this rifle. Sure you can buy a different lower that takes the sr25 pattern mags, but that is another grand on top of the price. I'm sure it is a reliable accurate rifle, but its heavy and expensive.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 06-12-13 at 13:26.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast