Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Struggling on latest 308 Selection

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    No not at all, but it's kinda funny there is an entire forum of SCAR users and nobody is having an issue, that's a very interesting point.
    That is why the source is so important, After doing some looking around in relation to another post, If FNFoums is the forum you quote. I would probably stop using them as a source and more as a social club. SOCNET says "the retard is strong there", that should be enough.

One SF/NSW guy who has used the system is worth 25 guys who play around on weekends. With the possible exception being the ranked 3 gun shooter or the guy who makes them.

Which is why this site is a great place, industry professionals are known. So a KAC guy is out in front as one. SME's are labeled as such. You know what you are getting.

But the actual end user reports, stop use notifications, spec sheets, and other information that channels through the SOF side is usually SIPR access only. So the reality of what is happening and has happened on the ground overseas or in T&E is NOT for public consumption.

This relates directly to the mk17/20's and the SCAR H as they share a great amount of parts commonality. If the CAR-H is chewing up EOtechs and Mk4's or there is some other failure of a part, like the lowers, if it is happening on the military side it's great way to get in a shitton of trouble by posting it all up on the internet.

But all this information civilians can not access is relevant to them. As you might push your gun harder (3 gun is a great way) you might start breaking things or having issues. All of which could have been headed off by an SME saying hey do this or buy that.

Unfortunately for the SCAR mk17 (which I really like BTW..enough to buy a civilian one) it has a long history of breaking and failing. It is the most extensively tested small arms platform in history I guess. I guess because it HAD to be. That checkered past will follow it around and when you had SOF fielding it and watching it fail right in front of them. Those are some strong opinions that will follow it around for some time. Add to it the evidence of the issues the SCAR has/had is not for disclosure, you can't always prove your points.

This is a burden the SCAR H almost exclusively carries

I think it has the absolute greatest potential of any platform on the market. unfortunately potential does not equate to performance

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox33 View Post
    That is why the source is so important, After doing some looking around in relation to another post, If FNFoums is the forum you quote. I would probably stop using them as a source and more as a social club. SOCNET says "the retard is strong there", that should be enough.

One SF/NSW guy who has used the system is worth 25 guys who play around on weekends. With the possible exception being the ranked 3 gun shooter or the guy who makes them.

Which is why this site is a great place, industry professionals are known. So a KAC guy is out in front as one. SME's are labeled as such. You know what you are getting.

But the actual end user reports, stop use notifications, spec sheets, and other information that channels through the SOF side is usually SIPR access only. So the reality of what is happening and has happened on the ground overseas or in T&E is NOT for public consumption.

This relates directly to the mk17/20's and the SCAR H as they share a great amount of parts commonality. If the CAR-H is chewing up EOtechs and Mk4's or there is some other failure of a part, like the lowers, if it is happening on the military side it's great way to get in a shitton of trouble by posting it all up on the internet.

But all this information civilians can not access is relevant to them. As you might push your gun harder (3 gun is a great way) you might start breaking things or having issues. All of which could have been headed off by an SME saying hey do this or buy that.

Unfortunately for the SCAR mk17 (which I really like BTW..enough to buy a civilian one) it has a long history of breaking and failing. It is the most extensively tested small arms platform in history I guess. I guess because it HAD to be. That checkered past will follow it around and when you had SOF fielding it and watching it fail right in front of them. Those are some strong opinions that will follow it around for some time. Add to it the evidence of the issues the SCAR has/had is not for disclosure, you can't always prove your points.

This is a burden the SCAR H almost exclusively carries

I think it has the absolute greatest potential of any platform on the market. unfortunately potential does not equate to performance
    M4C is an excellent source of information no doubt about it. It was never my intent to ruffle anyone's feathers here, very valuable knowledge to be had reading through the forum. To your point of one SF/NSW guy being worth 25 weekend warriors opinions, well I agree which is why I linked up the video in post 180.

Anyway, I've made my point and it's silly to keep bickering at this point, I like my SCAR, I'm not worried about it "eating an optic" (but if that were to happen, I would be the first to report it and show the evidence) and wouldn't mind having an SR-25 one day as well (for a different role of course).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I agree, I have yet to see any cited sources on any issues, thus I do respectfully continue my assertion that the issue of the SCAR issuing optics is way over blown.

That said, you mentioned not all opinions are created equal. I admit I'm not a "subject matter expert" or "industry professional", just a firearms enthusiast. However, I do believe there is a lot of weight behind the opinions of these distinguished gentlemen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXiVFMRMchY
    Oddly enough, I've linked to datapoints written by a peer of these gentlemen but that doesn't seem to count.....
    Last edited by Littlelebowski; 07-04-13 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Oddly enough, I've linked to datapoints written by a peer of these gentlemen but that doesn't seem to count.....
    The same gentleman that came to the same conclusion as I did about EOTechs, older ACOGs & cheap optics being the culprits?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The same gentleman that came to the same conclusion as I did about EOTechs, older ACOGs & cheap optics being the culprits?
    That was not his conclusion but at this point it's like trying to argue religion with a cultist so rock on with what you can Google and find at the forum to protect the reputation of your inanimate object that you are defending the honor of so valiantly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    That was not his conclusion but at this point it's like trying to argue religion with a cultist so rock on with what you can Google and find at the forum to protect the reputation of your inanimate object that you are defending the honor of so valiantly.
    Direct quote from your link:

"The only optic that might be suspect is the ACOG. I don't know when they beefed up their stuff, or what models, etc. I don't keep up with nomenclature so it is tough to say for sure. If it is recent manufacture, say within the last 2-3 years it will likely do just fine. The rest you mentioned are not cheaply made crap optics so they will not suffer the same indignity the junk optics did.

FWIW I ran a 1.5-5x20 Leupold Mk something or other for about 16 months on my first 17, and it didn't have any issues. It was not the super beefy Mil model, just a regular old Leupold. I'll address this issue in more detail later but for now......things NOT to put on your 17s are:

EOTech(which you shouldn't put an a serious gun anyway)
    Bushnell/Tasco quality magnified optics.
    Early Gen ACOGs
    Early Gen Elcan SpectreDR
    Lasers. I found that side mounting the laser did help to prolong the useful life, but these were MilSpec. The majority of commercially available lasers are not going to like being on the 17. "

So ya, arguing with a cultist is exactly what I feel like right now. lol

Feedback Score
    PNorris,
    Great thread, very informative, thanks. I'm currently in the same boat you were in. I'm looking for same 762 "hybrid", in 16", for same purposes (in the same State). I'm not interested in the Scar. I just started heavy research/comparison on LMT, Larue, & KAC. (I did the buy & cry on my first 1911 and I am prepared to repeat it on my first AR.) I'm awaiting catalogs from all three of the aforementioned. (I have to have paper in front of me, at the same time, for visual comparison.) Noveske responded and they are not currently doing 7.62 builds. Early research on Colt 901 revealed too many unsatisified shooters.

What optics did you finally decide on? I'm going to get flip-up steel sights but will also be looking into electronic optics.
    Again, thanks for a very informative thread.
    Infadel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I surely do miss Littlelebowski's input.
    former cat herder

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819