Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling on latest 308 Selection

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Time for my 2 cents. Parts & magazine availability is a non-issue for the SCAR, for the past 5-6 weeks mags have been raining from the sky, and it is supposed to continue as FN increased it's magazine production, to the point SCAR mags are much more readily available than say a .308 pmag. Secondly, SCAR 17s reports of being inaccurate are greatly exaggerated, just check out the FN Forum, plenty of guys getting MOA and some even sub MOA with the right glass, ammo & shooter out to about 500 yards. Thirdly, the SCAR is significantly lighter than all te other rifles mentioned, don't discount this if it is a rifle that will be carried even a little bit!

Now without a doubt the KAC and LMT are fine rifles, as Failure2Stop has pointed out and with all else being equal both probably more accurate than the SCAR, but by how much? Enough to matter? Doesn't sound it from what you've described your activities will be.

I have no personal experience with the HK, but I know mags & parts pricing and availability are REAL issues with it, on top of being very front heavy. Those things alone would make me never consider one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    What, $35-42 for SCAR mags?
    Compared to sane 5.56 mag prices. They may not be HK expensive but they are certainly more than a number of different types of rifle magazines. Granted most of those are not in .308.
    ˇˇKawaii Desu Ne Haruhi-Chan!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzintzuntzan View Post
    Compared to sane 5.56 mag prices. They may not be HK expensive but they are certainly more than a number of different types of rifle magazines. Granted most of those are not in .308.
    $35-40 per SCAR-17 mag is quite reasonable, really. Yes Pmag 20LR mags are only around $20, but these are not OEM for anything but the Colt 901. KAC factory mag prices make HK417 mag prices seem reasonable. LaRue OBR factory mags run $85 when in stock (Lord only knows when that will be). And the Pmag 20LR has been cited by several in the know to be fit only as training mags, with factory metal mags recommended as one's go-to mags.

If I had a SCAR-17 I'd be stacking mags DEEP at $35 each.

Feedback Score
    I think I'd be stacking mags as deep as I could regardless of price. $85 for a LaRue mag, makes me glad I'll never get an OBR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzintzuntzan View Post
    I think I'd be stacking mags as deep as I could regardless of price. $85 for a LaRue mag, makes me glad I'll never get an OBR.
    How does $120 for a KAC mag sound? Pretty painful. But, when dealing with top quality items I suppose the adage "buy once cry once" is a reasonable philosophy.

Stack the Pmag 20LRs deep for range/training/hunting and put aside a reasonable stock of absurdly priced OEM mags.

Honestly the KACs have never been reasonable in price. I remember the KAC catalog I had around 1995 with their 762 Carbine ($7500 if memory serves me) and spare mags ($75).

Just think of it as buying a Rolex.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 06-13-13 at 01:15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Struggling on latest 308 Selection

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    $35-40 per SCAR-17 mag is quite reasonable, really. Yes Pmag 20LR mags are only around $20, but these are not OEM for anything but the Colt 901. KAC factory mag prices make HK417 mag prices seem reasonable. LaRue OBR factory mags run $85 when in stock (Lord only knows when that will be). And the Pmag 20LR has been cited by several in the know to be fit only as training mags, with factory metal mags recommended as one's go-to mags.

If I had a SCAR-17 I'd be stacking mags DEEP at $35 each.
    LMT MWSs come with a P-Mag, as do s&w m&p 10s.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 06-13-13 at 01:23.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I don't think I'll be adding a SR25 any time soon but that's about as much as factory .338 Lapua right there! If I ever get a DI .308, you can bet it'll be a KAC but the financial system I implement makes me wanna take a good long look at the SCAR and handling a sub $3000 one makes my wallet feel a teensy bit better.
    Last edited by Tzintzuntzan; 06-13-13 at 01:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    LMT MWSs come with a P-Mag, as do s&w m&p 10s.
    Hmm, I stand corrected. Forgot about the M&P. I thought the LMT came with a metal mag (presumably made by KAC).

Feedback Score
    I have a Colt LE901-16S.

No durability or accuracy issues after 1k rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Hmm, I stand corrected. Forgot about the M&P. I thought the LMT came with a metal mag (presumably made by KAC).
    Purchased new LMT MWS from LGS in April 2013 and it had P-Mag 20LR magazine. Also, P-Mag 20 LRs are hard to find and cost in range of $55.00 to $70.00 per. Any lower prices I found were for back order only.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast