Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards

Feedback Score

$27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-27-50...180751722.html

"A new company in Texas is selling a precision rifle with a unique technology that allows even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target 10 football fields away. The price tag is a staggering $27,500.

Tracking Point describes the weapon as a smartgun, with a trigger wired to the scope so that the gun won't fire until it's locked on the target that's been tagged."

"What sets the TrackingPoint rifle apart is its high-tech electronic scope that automatically accounts for distance, gravity, wind speed, humidity, the rotation of the Earth and other variables that can influence whether a bullet hits its target.

The TrackingPoint scope allows the shooter to "tag" a target by placing a red dot on it within the crosshairs. Even when the safety is off and the shooter's finger pulls the trigger, the rifle will only fire when the crosshairs are locked on the red dot, making it relatively easy for even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target at long range."

No other details, not even the brand of the rifle. If you believe the article, any noob can hit targets at 1,000 without any training...

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

"A new company in Texas is selling a precision rifle with a unique technology that allows even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target 10 football fields away. The price tag is a staggering $27,500.

Tracking Point describes the weapon as a smartgun, with a trigger wired to the scope so that the gun won't fire until it's locked on the target that's been tagged."

"What sets the TrackingPoint rifle apart is its high-tech electronic scope that automatically accounts for distance, gravity, wind speed, humidity, the rotation of the Earth and other variables that can influence whether a bullet hits its target.

The TrackingPoint scope allows the shooter to "tag" a target by placing a red dot on it within the crosshairs. Even when the safety is off and the shooter's finger pulls the trigger, the rifle will only fire when the crosshairs are locked on the red dot, making it relatively easy for even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target at long range."

No other details, not even the brand of the rifle. If you believe the article, any noob can hit targets at 1,000 without any training...
    They had it at range day at SHOT this year. Honestly, just about anyone was able to hit the 1000 yard target using it. I honestly didnt care much for it because it makes you push a button when you line the crosshairs up on target then have to pull the trigger and re-align the crosshairs. It seems minus the built in range finder and software (Which requires lots of variable inputs) it is more work than just shotting normally. It means you have to come on target twice to hit a target rather than pulling the trigger the first time. On top of that, it is a very pixelated screen with a small amount of lag. However there were many first time long range (anything longer than 100 yards was long range to them) shooters hitting a 16" square plate ate 1000 yrds.

I believe they said it can be retrofitted to many different platforms, but they had it on a McMillan I believe.

ETA: Pictures on Website show a Surgeon not McMillan. I shot both
    Last edited by steyrman13; 06-13-13 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The whole "hit any target without training" is just fear-mongering. I bet if you jerk the trigger you will still miss. Here is the website.

http://tracking-point.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    The whole "hit any target without training" is just fear-mongering. I bet if you jerk the trigger you will still miss. Here is the website.

http://tracking-point.com/
    It is tied to an electronic servo or something that release the hammer/firing pin. It won't fire until steady o the "lock." It really is pretty easy. Tell me how many people you know (photogrophers, media day people, and people with no long range time can hit 1000 yard target first round hit?
    The most training would be in the software input stage. Bullet weight, MV, distance or something, etc.

ETA: The Surgeon platform it was on at SHOT is a rifle Base price around 5-6K so the scope and software must be in the 21k range.
    Last edited by steyrman13; 06-13-13 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We learned to bang targets at 1000 reliably for A SHITLOAD less than $27.5k
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We learned to bang targets at 1000 reliably for A SHITLOAD less than $27.5k
    Oh believe me I understand that, but it took time to practice. This can pretty much be take out of the box and Whalla....
    Looking back, It looks like I am saying it is great, I'm a salesman or something. FYI I'm not. I was somewhat impressed by it, but did not know the price tag at the time. It is kinda scary the capability of it for first time user.
    IMHO, for an experienced or somewhat experienced shooter, it is easier to use a traditional setup. I find it easier to Hit the 1000 yrd plate and transistion to other targets on a traditional setup, but for a novice/beginner they were making 1st rnd hits at 1000, No previous experience/practice.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well I didn't realize that so thank you for clearing it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    It is tied to an electronic servo or something that release the hammer/firing pin. It won't fire until steady o the "lock." It really is pretty easy. Tell me how many people you know (photogrophers, media day people, and people with no long range time can hit 1000 yard target first round hit?
    The most training would be in the software input stage. Bullet weight, MV, distance or something, etc.

ETA: The Surgeon platform it was on at SHOT is a rifle Base price around 5-6K so the scope and software must be in the 21k range.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    but for a novice/beginner they were making 1st rnd hits at 1000, No previous experience/practice.
    I literally took a guy and got him a first hit at 1000 yards on his first try. He had never even tried a 500 yard shot before that day.

I'm know nothing about this system and am not offering any opinion one way or another... just making the point that you can take a novice and get him out there in short order without an expensive piece of technology.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I literally took a guy and got him a first hit at 1000 yards on his first try. He had never even tried a 500 yard shot before that day.

I'm know nothing about this system and am not offering any opinion one way or another... just making the point that you can take a novice and get him out there in short order without an expensive piece of technology.
    Most definitely. I agree with you. I think it is marketed towards Big Whig Money Bags with no time or experience OR the bottom mil grunt to pick it up and be a sniper. Downside is it sounds like a marketed evil scary system for a novice assassin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Don't tell the media that! This thing is their new "superdeathraymurdermachine". You know, because this will be the new 7-11 robbery tool at a mere $27k, every gang banger will have one. ;-)
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 06-13-13 at 12:47.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast