Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Most definitely. I agree with you. I think it is marketed towards Big Whig Money Bags with no time or experience OR the bottom mil grunt to pick it up and be a sniper. Downside is it sounds like a marketed evil scary system for a novice assassin
    It'll be on 20/20 "to catch a killer"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't care what you think about Stephen Colbert, this is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7VD7SlgEg
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Shit...for that kinda money there better be a lawn chair and cocktails while the gun shoots itself.
    Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio...Amen

"Don't get on the boat if you're not ready to go all the way"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So, does it come completely set up and zeroed so I don't have to go through that process?

Feedback Score
    This is what they say: "The system uses a laser reference hard-mounted directly to the gun barrel. The laser reference is calibrated at the factory immediately after the gun is zeroed to ensure that the laser provides a permanent, virtual reference of where the gun barrel is pointing." So, yes, they zero it at the factory, but, I wonder what happens if you detach the scope from the rifle.

They use the Who's who of precision shooting: Surgeon, Krieger, AI, McMillan, even a Blackout 90T. Interesting...

It sounds like they work as advertised. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You still have to be able to call the wind and then input that value. The system does not figure it out for you.
    I am the military products manager for Lasermax

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Latest reports from the Snipers' Hide says the weapon shoots well in ideal and standard conditions, but vacillates in windy climes. If we can continue to develop this nascent technology, I'd imagine we could greatly extend the max effective range of common long-range calibers. The biggest challenge will probably be inputting accurate meteorological data in to the system on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    Latest reports from the Snipers' Hide says the weapon shoots well in ideal and standard conditions, but vacillates in windy climes. If we can continue to develop this nascent technology, I'd imagine we could greatly extend the max effective range of common long-range calibers. The biggest challenge will probably be inputting accurate meteorological data in to the system on the fly.
    Exactly.

I think the media is doing what the media does best by stirring a bunch of shit up. They make it seem as if a rifle capable of hitting target at 1000 yards is somehow rare and special.

As many have pointed out, $27000 to hit a target at 1000 yards is dumb. A regular joe could learn to do that with a $600 rifle, decent glass, and a couple hundred bucks in ammo. The very experienced shooters who have been doing it for a long time would probably feel like the TP rifle was ill suited to the task due to the variables required and lag time on the trigger.

But, this is just the first or second generation of the tech. My guess is that it will probably evolve into a much more compact and portable form for use with standard optics. I wouldn't want to let the scope control when the rifle fires, but some of the features might be handy.

But, regardless, I'm just waiting for the new 1000 yard rifles to become the next "assault weapon" that must be controlled, registered, and banned.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Exactly.

I think the media is doing what the media does best by stirring a bunch of shit up.
    But, regardless, I'm just waiting for the new 1000 yard rifles to become the next "assault weapon" that must be controlled, registered, and banned.
    This is the part I don't like. It would be a poor choice of us gun owners to point out that mist any long rifle is easily as capable. Let them ban the TP and not ALL long rifles....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    This is the part I don't like. It would be a poor choice of us gun owners to point out that mist any long rifle is easily as capable. Let them ban the TP and not ALL long rifles....

Too late.

The VPC put this out back in 1999 during the last AWB. It's pretty clear what their intent is. Page 37 is where things get very frustrating.

http://www.vpc.org/graphics/snipcov2.pdf
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 06-15-13 at 10:15.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast