Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards

Feedback Score
    we should be reasonable out this. it's not a magical talisman like the media claims. it's not a reason for people to suddenly be afraid of a criminal sniper behind every blade of grass.

and i don't see a new shooter suddenly winning F-class matches cause he had $27k in his pocket.

but it is some very cool technology that a lot of people have been asking for and imagining for a long time.

man, i would LOVE to have a laser guided system that would tell me when my scope got bumped out of alignment.

tech is always pricy at first. new research costs a lot of money. it won't be $27k forever.

Feedback Score
    US Army testing start-up's smart-rifle system

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-arm...190431690.html

TrackingPoint, which says its smart-rifle technology can turn any rookie shooter into a crack marksman, is having that claim tested by the U.S. military.

The Army has bought six fire control systems from the Austin, Texas-based start-up and is considering further purchases, according to Oren Schauble, TrackingPoint's chief marketing officer.

The military is testing TrackingPoint's scope and trigger-kit technology by integrating them into its XM 2010 Sniper rifles, he said.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphK. View Post
    Shit...for that kinda money there better be a lawn chair and cocktails while the gun shoots itself.
    And give me a BJ while it does my taxes for that price tag. Skill > gear
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    If I had 27,000 to piss away, I'd use it for a down payment on a 2014 Stingray. Can't pick up chicks with a rifle.

Feedback Score
    Just like ACOGs, Aimpoints, EoTechs, lasers, etc.: Another product that takes the art and finesse out of shooting. Lame.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintovka View Post
    Just like ACOGs, Aimpoints, EoTechs, lasers, etc.: Another product that takes the art and finesse out of shooting. Lame.
    I'm not sure I would take it that far. This system is very different in the fact that it basically automatic aims and sets the shot up for you. Everything you mentioned still takes some skill to put shots on target. They are faster, and easier I'm just not sure It takes the finesse out of shooting.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I'm not sure I would take it that far. This system is very different in the fact that it basically automatic aims and sets the shot up for you.
    This system does NOT "aim [...] for you". It prevents you from shooting until you've aimed it correctly.

Geeze, with all of your misinformation, you guys are almost as bad as the anti-gunners.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    This system does NOT "aim [...] for you". It prevents you from shooting until you've aimed it correctly.

Geeze, with all of your misinformation, you guys are almost as bad as the anti-gunners.
    So basically exactly what I said. It's not some crazy auto-aim computer system that instantly "lock-on" to the target, but not allowing you to shoot until you aim it the way it's wanting you to sounds like an auto-aim feature to me. Maybe my terminology isn't correct but I hope you understand what I'm trying to relay.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    And give me a BJ while it does my taxes for that price tag. Skill > gear
    I think that use to be true. Technology is advancing so fast now I don't know anymore. I have an Audi that would allow me to flat out beat any NASCAR driver from the 80s in there car. Sadly, even Richard Petty.

The same is true with firearms. If you want to compare absolute badasses that's one things but you have to fight with what you have, bit what you want. What's the cost and training time for a high speed sniper in a SMU? A couple of years to get in then sniper training on top if it? 3-4 years to replace maybe? Sure a guy with the Tracking Point might not be as efficient as a guy who spent a year learning to read wind but he didn't have to be. Bullet still ends up in same place.

To DoD a hit is a hit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post

I don't see why antigun people even care. At almost 28k nobody is gonna buy this for a liquor store robbery. If a criminal did have a plan that required a rifle like this they should rent Oceans 11 and rethink it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast