Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap and Reliable

Feedback Score

Cheap and Reliable

My Dad just got his concealed weapon carry permit. He has never really been into guns and now he wants to buy a small frame handgun that is easier to conceal. I have been trying to get him to buy something like a Glock 27.
    He is flat out cheap and only wants to spend about $350 and he wants it to be a .40 caliber---not a revolver.

He found a Taurs Millenium Pro 140 for $330. Anybody tried out one of these?

Anybody have a recommendation?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don' tknow about the Taurus auto's. My experience with Taurus was after 3 .38 snubbies that didn't work right, I got my money back, learned my lesson and stick with SW wheel guns.

I would INVEST a tad more and go with the 27. Personally, I would add that he should consider the 26. There's nothing wrong with the 9mm.

Look around for a used Glock.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Look for a well used Glock and don't think twice...seriously.

ToddG Guest
    Agree with both Mark & Shivan. Between the two, I'd opt for the G26 but if he's dead set on getting the smallest reliable .40 out there, the Glock would be it and the price for one used should be right around his ballpark.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd pass on any Taurus auto.

I'd make a caliber switch to 9mm and pick up a used PD-trade G19. If he insists on a .40, a G23.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    blank

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While last time out I shot better with the G27 than the 19 or 1911, I have to say I'd go with a used G19 or at least a G26. While I like .40S&W, I have come to appreciate the affordability of 9mm and the performance difference is negligable at worst and probably more like non-existant. My recent results outstanding, I find the 9mm much more readily controllable than the .40, especially in the 26/27 size guns. My 27 can be snappy with carry loads. I got the 27 as a BUG and off-duty weapon because it complimented my duty 22. If I were just going to have bought it by itself it would have been a 26. While I have no issues with shooting the .40 guns the 9mm just sits on target making follow-ups extremely fast. Equal performance, more controllable, and less expensive to shoot, go 9mm. If it must be the .40 go with the 23. Try and get him to rent and try both.

-RD62

P.S. As I sit here I have the 27 in my pocket.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    CDNN always has .40 and 9MM Glocks for $350 or less. I'd definitely go that route.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    While I like .40S&W, I have come to appreciate the affordability of 9mm and the performance difference is negligable at worst and probably more like non-existant.
    As you noted above, all the good handgun rounds perform about equally:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    CDNN always has .40 and 9MM Glocks for $350 or less. I'd definitely go that route.
    Got a link? I'm in the market for a 17.

-RD62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast