Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which powder for reloading for AR???

Feedback Score
    I have managed to develop nice loads using Varget, H335, and BLC2 so far.

Next incarnation is IMR-4895 (which I also use for Garands and .308).

I have made some good rounds, and I have everything documented in my notes. This opens up some doors for me if I can't find one brand of powder, I have already done the leg work and can get one of the others that may be available.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I
    Next incarnation is IMR-4895 (which I also use for Garands and .308).
    The complaint I've read about bothe 4895 and 8208 XBR is that if you're working up a hot load... close to 5.56mm pressures, these powders with turn on you without warning.

In other words, (and I've experienced this myself with 8208) you'll be working up a load with no signs of pressure at all, and then BAM! You're blowing primers and getting bad swipes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The complaint I've read about bothe 4895 and 8208 XBR is that if you're working up a hot load... close to 5.56mm pressures, these powders with turn on you without warning.

In other words, (and I've experienced this myself with 8208) you'll be working up a load with no signs of pressure at all, and then BAM! You're blowing primers and getting bad swipes.
    Great info to make others aware of Mark! The warning has been issued in every loading manual I've read "rework your load when powder lot numbers change". Were these powders that turned on you of the same lot numbers or did you use the same hot load and disregard the change in lot numbers? Personal when I run a charge close to the maximum I will rework the charge for my own personal safety. It's simple for me to fire a couple of rounds off of my back deck and check brass for pressure signs before heading back to the press assured of not creating grenade rounds...
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My issue was with the 8208 powder. It was a lot change with a pretty thoroughly vetted load that was a clone of the Mk 262.

Lesson learned was that when you're loading OVER max to get a 5.56 velocity, take nothing for granted.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    One of the 'silver linings' of all this hoarding of ammo, ARs, components, etc., is that since it has been harder to find my pet .223/.308 etc. powders, that I have had to buy whatever is on the shelf.

My preferences for .223 are 748 and Varget, with 8208 and CFE223 thrown in. However, I have now worked up loads using 4064, 3031, RL17, 335, 322, AA2520, and more.

It made me realize that there are a lot of good powders out there, and to be a little more versatile. I feel like i have loads for a lot more powders now that I am happy with, and don't much care what's on the shelf. Plus, with powder like RL17, which is pretty slow for the .223, virtually no load data exists for .223, and not really made for it at all, my interest in load development has been 'reborn'.

I have a customer and range friend who won't load anything but 4064 for his .308, and is now out of powder for it because, well, I don't know why exactly. But he's out of powder, and I'm sitting on 40+ pounds of just rifle powder because I just bought whatever came in. His loss....

Feedback Score
    4895 and 8208. That's what's in stock, so that's what I've been able to use. Just picked up some ar-comp so I'm gonna work some loads up and see what happens.
    don't even try to take my weapons away from me and my peoples...

this is why i joined this forum...http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503481
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503240

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

I had heard that so I kept it under max. Good to know. And those powders are what I have the most of since that's what my lgs has been gettng.
    don't even try to take my weapons away from me and my peoples...

this is why i joined this forum...http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503481
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503240

Feedback Score
    I've used 335, 8208, and BLC2 with success. I'm no long range competitor though.

Feedback Score
    I try to keep it simple. RL-7 for lighter bullets. RL-15 for heavier bullets. That being said I also like 8208 and Varget.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ennbeegunny15 View Post
    I had heard that so I kept it under max. Good to know. And those powders are what I have the most of since that's what my lgs has been gettng.
    You can load it to max. It's when you're developing a load that exceeds .223 pressures where you should be careful.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast