Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1/4" steel armor test

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a buddy who really liked high velocity rifles, and often shot handloads from his .220 Swift and .17 Rem. The .17 would shoot a nice clean little hole through an old bridge girder he salvaged, while 30-06 ball just dented it. Apparently a 1000-ish FPS difference in velocity made a big difference.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the info Doc.

I have some "Lab certified" Level III AR 500 steel plates from Targetman.com. I plan on doing my own chrono’d "back yard ballistic test" and will be shooting the plate with:

10mm (200 gr WFNGC) from a Glock 20 4.6" barrel (1,250 FPS)
    5.56 mm M193 from a 16" barrel
    5.56 mm MK262 from a 16" barrel
    300 Blackout (168 gr. pulled M2 black tip) from a 16" barrel
    300 Blackout (150 FMJ) from a 16" barrel
    300 Blackout (150 gr. API ammo)
    30-06 (168 SMK) from a 24" barrel
    300 RUM (180 TTSX) from a 26" barrel

I’m most curious about the 300 Blackout loaded with M2 black tip and API ammo. Knowing that they should penetrate at 30-06 velocities, I curious how they do at a couple hundred FPS slower Blackout velocities.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: 1/4" steel armor test

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It is quite a normal finding for 855 to be stopped by steel, but 193 to punch through. Likewise 855 is a poor choice against automobile windshields.
    Why did the military switch to 855?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Why did the military switch to 855?
    This is from what I understand: Because NATO thought that the wounding capability of XM193 was inhumane so they switched to 855since it produces more ice-pick like wounds and less explosive trauma. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    M855 was designed specifically to perf a Soviet helmet at 500 M. At least that was the info put out by the gun press, at the time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    This is from what I understand: Because NATO thought that the wounding capability of XM193 was inhumane so they switched to 855since it produces more ice-pick like wounds and less explosive trauma. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are in fact wrong.

NATO was looking for a 5.56 round that would get through Soviet helmets and body armor at distance, and wanting a round that would work through both rifles and SAWs. In the testing completed back then the M855 shot through a steel barrier at greater distance than the 7.62 round.

At close range the M855 will yaw and fragment pretty much the same as the M193

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    By any chance was this bainite flash armor? If not can you tell us the brand?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    M855 was designed specifically to perf a Soviet helmet at 500 M. At least that was the info put out by the gun press, at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    You are in fact wrong.

NATO was looking for a 5.56 round that would get through Soviet helmets and body armor at distance, and wanting a round that would work through both rifles and SAWs. In the testing completed back then the M855 shot through a steel barrier at greater distance than the 7.62 round.

At close range the M855 will yaw and fragment pretty much the same as the M193

Hmmm thanks... you learn something new every day. Well those test results have me all sorts of confused now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I had a buddy who really liked high velocity rifles, and often shot handloads from his .220 Swift and .17 Rem. The .17 would shoot a nice clean little hole through an old bridge girder he salvaged, while 30-06 ball just dented it. Apparently a 1000-ish FPS difference in velocity made a big difference.
    I've done some tests on 3/8 steel plate and have found that when lead core, high velocity bullets, successfully penetrate, they punch a hole through plate, much like a paper hole puncher. The holes produced in the plate are much larger than the diameter of the bullet. The bullet disintegrates and the punched out steel from the plate then becomes the projectile. This steel projectile is easily stopped by a couple of pieces of wood.

On the other hand, steel core, especially AP, punches sub caliber holes, remains intact, and maintains enough velocity after penetration to do considerable damage to anything behind the plate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hmmm interesting data.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast