Thread: Texans: Perry signed all gun bills

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Texans: Perry signed all gun bills

Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Texans: Perry signed all gun bills

Has the "switchblade" law been signed away yet?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yes, it has.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brit View Post
    Has the "switchblade" law been signed away yet?
    Please advise what this bill entails...I am not having any luck searching it. In my part of Tejas, knives are illegal that you would not know are illegal and the whole thing is very confusing.

Also, am I correct in understanding that saps are illegal regardless of the circumstances? I can't understand why I can carry a concealed handgun, but not a sap...thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    It's House Bill 1862, and it goes into effect Sept 1. Perry signing it was symbolic, since it passed with a veto-proof majority.

Basically, it just strips the word "switchblade" from the laws that list prohibited weapons. Something you need to remember, is that it DOES NOT change the law in Texas regarding double-edged weapons - that would be the language referring to a "dirk, dagger or poniard".

So buy all the auto's you want, as long as the blade is not double-edged or longer than 5.5 inches. They can still arrest you for that.

A quick search with my trusty friend Mr. Google came up with this:

http://openstates.org/tx/bills/83/HB1862/

If you live in a place like, oh, let's say *cough* San Antonio *cough* it's very good news.

And yes, I'll be rocking a Spyderco Citadel on September 2nd, and carrying a laminated copy of the applicable statute.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I am looking forward to owning automatic Benchmade & Spyderco auto knives. Also considering Microtechs.

I did not think about the "dirk" clause, that may rule out a Benchmade Infidel OTF knife.

I found it interesting the switchblade bill's sponsors were minority democrats from Houston and McAllen. I usually associate stricter weapon laws with urban democrats.

Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 06-17-13 at 22:26.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    I am looking forward to owning automatic Benchmade & Spyderco auto knives. Also considering Microtechs.

I did not think about the "dirk" clause, that may rule out a Benchmade Infidel OTF knife.

I found it interesting the switchblade bill's sponsors were minority democrats from Houston and McAllen. I usually associate stricter weapon laws with urban democrats.

You and I think alike. I was thinking about that blade, but then caught the double edge issue. They do, however, make a single edged version. It's still about $400.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the bill's sponsors as well.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Here's your knife, but single edged.

http://www.bladeops.com/Benchmade-33...-p/ben3310.htm

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    It's House Bill 1862, and it goes into effect Sept 1. Perry signing it was symbolic, since it passed with a veto-proof majority.

Basically, it just strips the word "switchblade" from the laws that list prohibited weapons. Something you need to remember, is that it DOES NOT change the law in Texas regarding double-edged weapons - that would be the language referring to a "dirk, dagger or poniard".

So buy all the auto's you want, as long as the blade is not double-edged or longer than 5.5 inches. They can still arrest you for that.

If you live in a place like, oh, let's say *cough* San Antonio *cough* it's very good news.

And yes, I'll be rocking a Spyderco Citadel on September 2nd, and carrying a laminated copy of the applicable statute.
    So after all that why not ditch the stupid double edged/length nonsense while they were at it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

Does this supercede existing city statutes as well as state? I know that Austin has its own statute against autos.

Also, must they be in plain view or does a CCW cover knives as well?

And I have always been confused about spring-assisted, no button knives. Legal in Texas or not? Any changes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast