Thread: Installation of Surefire Socom SFMB-762-5/8-24 on P-308

Feedback Score

Installation of Surefire Socom SFMB-762-5/8-24 on P-308

Just picked up a new POF P-308.

I am planning on running a Socom 762 on it.

Installed the SFMB-762-5/8-24 brake-mount on the rifle.

Some observations:

1. This isn't the first MB that I have installed. I have had similar fun with the AAC 51 tooth brakes and other surefire brakes.
    2. I must be doing something wrong. The Ever-So-Helpful clock diagram included witht eh instructions never seems to give me the right combination
    3. It is fun trying all the different color combinations on the washers until you get just the right combination and the mount times perfectly with about the right amount of force.
    4. The feeling of satisfction with #3 occurs is only equaled by the feeling of relief that the mount really will time properly with the shims they included.
    5. Waiting 24hrs for the rockset to cure sucks.
    6. Seeing the suppressor mounted correctly onthe rifle's muzzle is a great feeling . . . . it will be even better when I shoot it!

The photos are posted on my www.TexasGunTrust.com Facebook page.
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    2. I must be doing something wrong. The Ever-So-Helpful clock diagram included witht eh instructions never seems to give me the right combination
    3. It is fun trying all the different color combinations on the washers until you get just the right combination and the mount times perfectly with about the right amount of force.
    4. The feeling of satisfaction with #3 occurs is only equaled by the feeling of relief that the mount really will time properly with the shims they included.
    5. Waiting 24hrs for the rockset to cure sucks.
    6. Seeing the suppressor mounted correctly on the rifle's muzzle is a great feeling . . . . it will be even better when I shoot it!
    2. I KNOW RIGHT?!!! I thought I was an idiot! I sat down with an Army buddy and it took the two of way longer than it should have.
    3. What we came down to was to ditch that stupid wheel since it made no sense to us. What did help was the applying a value to each shim. This way we figured out eventually that .037 wasn't enough an .040 was too much, so we had to figure out how to get to .038 or .039. That actually worked well. SF would do well imo to dump the stupid colors that almost immediately fade off of the shims and instead engrave in actual numbers!
    4. Glorious indeed.
    5.... I uh, actually didn't remember it took that long. I don't have my can right now anyhow so it wasn't an issue.
    6. Yes. Esp when you have a 6+ month wait to see it on your guns.

Feedback Score

Installation of Surefire Socom SFMB-762-5/8-24 on P-308

Are the Surefire shims steel or aluminum?
    I know the AAC shims are steel.

An aluminum peel washer is what they need to include.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice. I have definitely spent time mixing & matching shims to get the right position and then mounted a brake precisely 90 degrees from proper. Remember, ports out, not up!

Feedback Score
    One easy way to do this as well is to back off the adapter so it is in the correct position. Use a shim or shims as a feeler gauge where the gap is between the barrel shoulder or spacer if you are using it. Make sure the shim or combo is a tight fit. spin off the adapter and put on the shims you used and torque into place. Yes the shim are stainless steel.
    Garin Lee
    SureFire Suppressor Division
    Garin@SureFire.com