Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most embarrassing moments in matches

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Most embarrassing moments in matches

Ok here are mine.
    Fell on my face but managed to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction to avoid a DQ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jj4mK_Mc5o

dropped the mag on the buzzer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0tm2Ot133g
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 06-18-13 at 18:15.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: Most embarrassing moments in matches

3 gun shortly after I got my SLP.
    Managed to reload most of my thumb TWICE in a single stage.
    Near-constant flow of profanity for the stage.
    Thankfully everyone was wearing hearing protection and there were no women or children inside the effective casualty radius.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At a match a couple of weeks ago I suffered from premature mag ejection as well. I was moving from one covered position to another and for some unknown reason I moved my thumb to the mag release and pressed it. A fraction of a second before I did it I had the same uh-oh feeling you get before you close the car door with your keys inside.

I could have smoothly grabbed a fresh magazine and played it cool, but my left arm was wrapped around a "baby" at the time, so I had to drop to a squat, recover my magazine, and shoot while waddling to cover.

Feedback Score
    An IDPA match two years ago. I was all set and ready to go trough the third stage when.....

"Shooter Ready?"

Nod

"Stand By..."

Beep!

I draw, fire one round and go to fire again and CLICK. I check for malfunction and then I noticed I had failed to load a mag BACK into the gun after ejecting a partially spent one and putting it in my pocket. Thereafter, I paid much closer attention to the words, "Shooter Ready?" than before.

I think I have video of it somewhere....pretty embarrassing. Thanks to JimD for recording it to last forever....
    Last edited by Spectre'sWrath; 06-19-13 at 15:44. Reason: Year edit (two years ago)
    "The blood I drop is more medicinal than dangerous to me."

-Coriolanus

Feedback Score
    I got DQ'd from a match where I was the Match Director.

Proned out, mandatory switch of primary from dominant to non-dominant shoulder, had ND into the dirt. Dumbass.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

embarrising

learned the hard way why you don't agressively slap a pmag into a gun with an open bolt: tip a thin pocket knife through the ejection port provided enough leverage to pop the mag free.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I flew all the way from Alaska to Arizona for a big IPSC match in the early 90's and got DQ'd in the first stage for my finger inside the trigger guard when I left one shooter's box for another. I really think I cleared my finger as I started to move, but obviously the official didn't agree. Lots of fun watching the rest of the match up close.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1992 area 8 USPSA match in quantico. My first true major. Last stage. Was running really well. Last firing position had a 6" port just over a car hood with 2 poppers as the last targets to be engaged. I was running an open gun with an optic. Forgot about HOB. Engaged both poppers and nothing fell. Weird black debris was flying in front of my face. Engaged again. Same result. Bore down and engaged them a third time. They finally fell. When I stood up, there were four neat creases of about .355" width across the car hood. Match DQ.

Doh.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got two that immediately come to mind -

At the FN 3 Gun Championship at Peacemaker in Sept 2012, on stage 5 from a kneeling position I swiftly shot 3 steel with my AR at around 100 yards then twisted around to engage the half dozen paper targets while simultaneously/accidentally dropping the magazine out of my gun and not realizing it. After getting a shot off I heard the dreaded *click*, and tried a tap/rack but when my hand hit an empty magazine well the only thought going through my mind was "shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit". It felt like an eternity but I eventually reloaded my spare mag from my belt and kept going.

At Colt's 3 Man 3 Gun Team Event at Topton in Apr 2013, I rolled the dice (gaming a stage) trying to shoot through a gap in the barriers with my Remington Versamax and put a full load of 12 gauge birdshot right into a big plastic barricade barrel, then realizing my folly I tried to make it up too quickly through the same gap and ended up shredding a cardboard IPSC that I didn't mean to hit, then finally stopped/paused correctly and blasted the steel plate I was originally going for. After getting flustered and looking like an idiot I fumbled my reload, dropped half the shells on the ground and by the time I got to the end of the CoF I had one target standing and no ammo left. Standing there staring at that last steel plate with my empty shotgun, sitting on it's damn pedestal staring back at me, I wanted to throw my Versamax at it and probably would have it if wouldn't have been a match DQ. Rarely have I felt rage like I did in that moment.

Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    I rolled the dice (gaming a stage) trying to shoot through a gap in the barriers with my Remington Versamax and put a full load of 12 gauge birdshot right into a big plastic barricade barrel, then realizing my folly I tried to make it up too quickly through the same gap and ended up shredding a cardboard IPSC that I didn't mean to hit, then finally stopped/paused correctly and blasted the steel plate I was originally going for. After getting flustered and looking like an idiot I fumbled my reload, dropped half the shells on the ground and by the time I got to the end of the CoF I had one target standing and no ammo left. Standing there staring at that last steel plate with my empty shotgun, sitting on it's damn pedestal staring back at me, I wanted to throw my Versamax at it and probably would have it if wouldn't have been a match DQ. Rarely have I felt rage like I did in that moment.

That sounds like a nightmare I had before a match.
    Not kidding.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast