Thread: 16" .308 w/ Rifle Length Gas System Reliability

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

16" .308 w/ Rifle Length Gas System Reliability

All,

My question concerns reliability with this combination. I'd like to know how everyones setup has run with the port so close to the muzzle. I'm asking b/c I currently have a 20" AR-10T and am not having any luck trading into a 16". I can get the current bbl cut, threaded and crowned but didn't want to without checking with those who run this combo.

Thanks,
    Keith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Several reputable manufacturers (KAC, Fulton Armory, etc) make 308 AR's with a 16" barrel and rifle gas system.

With that being said, you may (as in probably) need to enlarge the gas port a bit to compensate for the reduced dwell time. Unfortunately this is not the most common combination, and I have not the slightest clue what the "ideal" port size would be.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    I have a LMT MWS coming to me that was a 20" that I had cut to a 16" by ADCO without touching the gas port. I will update once I have the rifle and can test it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Looking forward to it E.

Thanks,
    Keith

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Got the MWS in this week...
    Hopefully I can run some rounds through it tomorrow both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Sorry for the delay, my friend with the land cancelled on me twice in a row. Going to shoot it this weekend even if I have to go to a damn in door range to test its function!
    Last edited by E-man930; 07-18-13 at 20:28.

Feedback Score
    Here's one guy who had a LMS bbl cut down to 16", .308 rifle gas
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=122637

I recall another guy getting a 16.1" Fulton .308 w/ rifle gas bbl, he apparently said it was just fine.

Fulton still sells the .308 16"ers with rifle gas right on their site, and along with the people saying it works and KAC selling one as well, I'd say it should probably work, though you may have to experiment. I personally plan on getting such a bbl myself (.308 ofc). I'd also add I'm taking precautions against the possibility of too little gas by nickel boron coating pretty much the entire recoiling mass (while also lubing it) to reduce the force needed to move it along with using a JP low mass carrier (to further reduce the mass). That said, I'm pretty sure people are doing rifle gas with full weight carriers and heavy buffers, so I doubt what I'm doing is essential.

You'll want to get the gas port right, though. Lotsa people seem to say it runs fine without resizing, but I plan on speccing my gas port to 0.100" + an adjustable block since I think (like, 50% sure) that Fulton's 16" .308 uses a 0.100" port.
    Last edited by Hygienist; 07-23-13 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Sorry for the slow updates on my end - fired PPU .308 145gr through my MWS this past weekend at my buddy's place - no hiccups or issues noted. Going to start a separate thread to compare my 20" cut down to 16" rifle length gas H3 / SR25 RE gun with his 16" carbine gas, AR15 carbine RE with Slash Heavy buffer in the next few weeks. Plan is to try both uppers on his lower, than both uppers on my lower, then add suppressors and try it again.