Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tumbling media

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tumbling media

Another thing, I already had one of those media separator thingys that looks like a litter box with crank handles.
    It's awesome for separating pins from brass. Fill with clean water and crank for a few seconds, works great!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tumbling media

Here's some Lake City '57 headstamp grungy surplus brass from my Garand. This was my first batch through the Thumlers.
    Before:
    Attachment 17203
    After:
    Attachment 17204

Nuff said.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Tumbling media

Ok, pardon me for maybe a stupid question but does this over time shorten the life of the brass? Isn't it actually removing minute amounts of metal? Or is it trivial & there's nothing to worry about?

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tumbling media

I'm not qualified to answer that, but any time you shine metal that's how you're doing it, so whether its corn cob & polish or pins & soap is the only question.

That being said, I was able to see peening marks or tiny scratches after tumbling with pins. Whether it shortens service life or not is out of my lane to try and answer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Does not shorten the life of brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Tumbling media

Ok, cool. Thanks dudes. Was just kinda curious if it was slightly overkill & led to premature wear.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The only complaint I've read about is when guys chamfer their necks before tumbling (which makes no sense to me) The sharp edge on the case mouth was apparently getting rouged up.

I trim and all that AFTER cleaning the brass, so not an issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    It surely doesn't work the brass as much as shooting it... lol

I agree with chamfering... decap and tumble first, resize, measure and trim and chamfer if needed. I don't see enough damage to the case neck from tumbling to warrant having to deburr every case, only those that I'd trim and likely raise a burr on..
    Beware of Dog. Shoots to kill...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    i've been trimming my brass before the final polish and have'nt notice the mouth being roughed up but you definately lose the crisp look of fresh trimmed. just did a batch for an upcoming match used the suggestion of a previous post of putting them on a cookie sheet and set in the oven at 150 for a 1/2 hour completely dry but i also live in high desert country so will be diffrent for those in moister areas

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
    It surely doesn't work the brass as much as shooting it... lol

Reminds me of the "Will dry firing my AR hurt it?" guys....

If you're worried about dry fire... definitely DO NOT live fire that sucker!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123