Thread: Post-machining "tumbling" of FF Rails?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post-machining "tumbling" of FF Rails?

In relation to the recent Noveske Rail thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13375

Does anyone know what rails are or are not "tumbled" after machining?

From reading around, it sounds like Troy, Ultimak and Vltor rails are NOT, and the SWS/Noveske rails ARE. Is this correct, and/or does anyone know about other manufacturers, like KAC, DD, and Larue? I ASSume this process is similar to the superfinishing we use on gears. Basically a giant vibratory polisher with different size/material media. Any info would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide on which FF rail to use for my first build.

Jason

Feedback Score
    no idea of LT rails are tumbled or not, but they arent "sharp" if that is what you are ultimately asking.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yes, lack of sharpness is what I'm after. Trying to avoid the cheesegrater effect. Thanks for the info.

Jason

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    why not use rail covers? problem solved. besides sharp edges, they'll protect your hands from heat.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I only use ladder-style rail covers to get the narrowest profile possible. Even with those, a few sharp edges can peek through when shooting sans gloves.

Feedback Score
    no matter the other answers to your question....the ultimate answer is still larue.

so just get a larue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I only use ladder-style rail covers to get the narrowest profile possible. Even with those, a few sharp edges can peek through when shooting sans gloves.

Sounds like you are looking for the Daniel Defense Omega rail, its the thinnest I've seen. You can see from the below picture thats its only slightly wider than the handguard cap. The Omega rail is tumbled and doesn't have sharp edges.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB