Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good gun stores in Bucks, Montco

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    +1 for Claytons

Do yourself a favor and haggle with them, as they do that type of stuff (even though they might be resistant at first) Offer cash they might drop taxes and some off the price. Also larger selection than most places and friendlier. Classic Pistol sucks as the owner is annoying. Tanners is pretty crappy too, bad attitudes.
    Really? I've really never heard a bad word about Tanners before. Staff has always been excellent and very helpful, even during times where they were swamped. They also never raised prices on firearms, ammo, etc in anyway that wasn't driven by wholesale price increases. One of the reasons I keep using them. They also ship to CA FFL's (yes some won't) and are very easy to work with when using a C&R.

Hell when I used to live Newton, I was there all the time. Heck, even in living in Lower Merion now I still make trips up there. The fact that the list the prices and upcoming ammo and guns coming into the store each week on their facebook page is a big plus too.

What happened to you when shopping there? Not being accusatory, just honestly interested.

On the other stores
    Surplus is okay, it can be hit or miss in terms of stock or pricing, but they do get a lot of cooler old/oddball stuff there and the pricing can also be rather good at times. Ammo not so much. Staff has always been nice to me.

Classic is where I used to shoot at (before switching to Wicen's recently, mostly for a desire to shoot outdoors), and while the prices are higher, the staff is generally pretty good and so is the way the range is run.

Claytons was a store I was only in once or twice and not when I was looking to get a gun, but staff was helpful and the selection seemed really large too.

King's in King of Prussia is pretty good for reloading supplies, but the prices are higher on guns, that said Pat and Roger are really nice and so is most of the staff. Good place to get cast bullets. They also are a Class III dealer with silencers if that's your thing.

That said they all stink for transfers on new internet guns. Person I use is DHF sales who is really nice and right near the Bryn Mawr Hospital. He's even meet me late at night (he's by appt) because of me having to work in NYC during the day.
    Last edited by gfanikf; 07-08-13 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Good gun stores in Bucks, Montco

Im curious as well. Tanners has always been very friendly

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Just personal experience really as well as a few friends having issues at Tanners.

Was in there to get a gun or two a few times and they just talked to me like a was a complete and utter retard, sorry but if you cannot maintain a level of respect for your potential customers, not really a place I would go into.

Clayton's on the other hand, guys are pretty much "American" gun-guns, they don't mind shooting the shit with you all day and once you build up a relationship with them don't be surprised if they call you when stuff comes in before others. Hell, few weeks back I stopped in and they let me play with am optic on a commando and some ammo, no charge - did not even ask. Doubt many other places would have done that.

Feedback Score
    Just personal experience really as well as a few friends having issues at Tanners.

Was in there to get a gun or two a few times and they just talked to me like a was a complete and utter retard, sorry but if you cannot maintain a level of respect for your potential customers, not really a place I would go into.
    I can understand how a bad personal experience or word of mouth from friends could be a reason. I do know that I have had moments where my knowledge base is treated as minimal, but I think it's less a personal thing and more the range of customers employees encounter, so go with the assumption that they know nothing until proven otherwise.

Not saying I agree with it, but having worked in retail before law, I can understand it. Still a good example of it being obnoxious is how unlike Borders would allow you to search their in store computer and not pester or bug you, Barnes and Noble had an employee come over and tell me wife customers couldn't use the search engine (which wasn't internal sku trackers or anything like that, just the website), but he could search it for her (my wife besides once working at Borders and also being a Reference Librarian assistant all through College) annoyed her to no end.

Still like I said my experiences were always positive and lord knows I asked to look at a lot of guns and they never had any problem with it. Hell I'd even apologize for making them take so many out and they said it was fine, as that's there job.

Clayton's on the other hand, guys are pretty much "American" gun-guns, they don't mind shooting the shit with you all day and once you build up a relationship with them don't be surprised if they call you when stuff comes in before others. Hell, few weeks back I stopped in and they let me play with am optic on a commando and some ammo, no charge - did not even ask. Doubt many other places would have done that.
    I really will have to check out Clayton's in more detail at some point. As I said I was only in there briefly to find some oddball ammo and a holster once. Part of the issue was that it was 30 minutes away from my old house while Tanners (for days I worked from home or Saturdays) was only 15 minutes away and Classic and Surplus was only 20 minutes (but opened later), so it was more a location thing. I will say when I called them to check prices a few times they were always very nice and helpful.

Following up on Surplus one of the guys would always ask me how my daughter was doing, I always appreciated it, nothing like that extra touch that helps make a customer even more satisfied.

There is one other place in Montco Treeline in Norristown. Not much there and prices were mehish, but guy seemed nice and helpful who ran it, and apparently looking at their online website they also sell women's camo lingerie if you need it.

Oh I had a chance to check out Sarco recently, but that's in Northampton, very fun store to look around. Like a gigantic Surplus City, but more variety. Prices were all over the place.

Feedback Score
    There's a new place in Lansdale called Modern Tactical that I really like; they've been open for a very short time. They do tactical stuff only; no hunting or "sporting" guns. They don't have any real top notch ARs as of yet; mostly just Olympic, Stag, Bushmaster, etc, but at least the guys there have said that they are aware that these aren't the best brands, and they are planning on Colt, DD, etc, as soon as they get approval to do so. As they are new, they have a limited selection of accessories, but what they have is good: Magpul and Troy mostly, and they are going to be expanding very soon. They're going to start doing Cerakote jobs next week too. Everyone who works there seems pretty nice also.

These guys are worth keeping an eye on; they have a lot of potential.

Feedback Score
    The biggest shops I've been in are Target world, Classic, and Targetmaster. They've all had a wide selection of guns but prices are a bit high for what was offered. Customer service ranged from nice to downright snide. I have to say, I was only at Classic one time years ago, but they were very helpful.

I've been to Tanner's one time about 3 years ago, and honestly, I didn't think the people were all that friendly. I was looking around in the case and not one of the people behind the counter offered to show me anything. I even pointed to some things to my wife that we were looking at.

We were there for about 15 minutes and while other customers were there being waited on, no one greeted us or said "I'll be with you after these customers". I distinctly remember this experience because I had heard about how welcoming they were and I was surprised. Maybe I didnt look like one of their typical gun customers.

I just buy from online sources and have them shipped to an FFL near me.

Feedback Score
    Was at Target World a few days ago. They now have a bunch of DDs and Colts in stock. No real accessories though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Good gun stores in Bucks, Montco

jn Chelfont? Never liked them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    jn Chelfont? Never liked them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, they have a couple good things in stock right now, but the staff is more of the hunting/sporting variety and most wouldn't know much about tactical stuff other than the difference between an AR and AK. There's a couple good guys there, but there's also a lot of grumpy guys who really don't give a damn about customers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12