Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mossberg 930 JM Pro experiences

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...pic=176494&hl=

Want a more proven shotgun for just a little more here is a nice Fn SLP.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I have one, I like it, and it's been reliable once Mossberg sent me a new trigger group because the first lifter was cocked to the side. I got the gun because it's relatively inexpensive for something I don't use much.

That being said, if you have the money, buy a better shotgun. I wish I had.

ETA: That SLP looks like a hell of a deal.
    Last edited by bulbvivid; 06-26-13 at 10:22.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was having issues with mine before I sold it... Mid-mag (around the 5th shot) regardless of ammo, the bolt would lock open and not chamber the next round. I'd hit the bolt release, and it'd spit out the next two rounds into my hand. I had about 200 rounds through it, so I took a file and buffed/sanded down the little claw that held the shells in the tube. Still didn't fix it, and not being able to figure it out I lined up a sale in favor of getting a pump again.

Right before I met the guy I emptied the mag tube (kept it loaded/unchambered in the safe)... Got to about the 5th round (9 shot tube) of hand cycling, and the 5th round wouldn't come out. In fact, it was lodged about 2 inches into the tube and the remaining rounds would slide back and forth in the tube without any spring pressure. I almost called the guy and said I wouldn't sell it, now that I realized that the issue was not the claw thing in the receiver, but the mag follower was too wide and/or the mag tube narrowed in the middle of the tube. Buuut, had already bought a new 590 and so I kind of had to let it go for a loss.

Other than the aggravation of trying to diagnose the issues and dealing with the bolt sticking open about 50% of the time I shot it, I really liked the gun. I never got around to running it in competitions, but I'm assuming it'd be the bee's knees if it ran right. I just got impatient, and prefer a pump gun.
    Last edited by sxshep; 07-02-13 at 00:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post
    Looking for any information that folks have using the 930 JM pro for 3-gun. It looks like a great gun and I have located one locally to buy, but would like some opinions before I purchase.

V /R

Bowietx
    Go to brianenos.com and read up the threads relating to the 930 JM in this sub forum http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=49
    Lots of info about the JM, good and bad points.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a 3rd gen 930 SPX and it has run like a clock for about 500 rounds.

I broke it down completely and cleaned it, lubed as per the manual. I then proceed to run about 100 each of Remington targetload, Winchester white box target load, then moved on to Low recoil 00 buck and slugs to see if the 930 would eat what makes alot of semi-auto shotguns choke. I didnt have one failure of any sort as far as the weapon firing or loading. I did have a couple of occasions where I could only feed 5 rounds into the tube. I also noticed that the finish on the receiver of the Mossberg seemed to be overly delicate and susceptible to abrasion all the way to the metal. Nothing a layer of cerakote wont take of though.

I was about to spring for the FN SLP but having to change pistons depending on the load you are using did not sound optimal for a shot costing over 1k. I am glad I spent $730 and not $1200. I bought a good flashlight and mount, tritium front sight insert plus some ammo with my savings and still have a solid dependable shotgun.
    Last edited by signkutter; 07-15-13 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    thanks for the additional information I am reading about the gun in the brianenos forums and I appreciate hearing about the experiences with 500rds so far and no malfunction. It appears that quality control may be an issue and has definitely given me pause on the purchase.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The major issues I have read about and experienced with my JM930 are: weak firing pin hits leading to failure to fire, fixed with a XP Ruger 1022 hammer spring, misfeeds from mags, often due to rough face of shell stop, and issues when gas piston and rings get dirty. Also, the JM tends to shoot slugs really high. Fixed with barrel bending by someone who has done this before, or in my case with a taller front bead. Also had a hole drilled and tapped for a mid rib bead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been shooting 3 Gun for a year and a half now, and I have yet to see a Mossberg auto make it through a match without having problems. I don't know what their problems are because I have never cared to ask the shooters, and I won't speculate on what the problems "could" be, but based on what I've seen it's not something I'd recommend to anyone.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As mig1nc, I've had very good luck with mine overall. Though learned some very important lessons setting it up. Keep the gas rings clean and dry is the most important and it will run 6 -7.5 Win Super target all day long. I paid $550 for my 22 inch OTD, added a XXL Nordic cap to make it 9 +1 capacity, I dremeled out the loading port myself and had C-Rums do the lifter slot and weld.
    I think it's all in the care you take to set it up, the guys I shoot with have all have a variety of shottys for 3-gun Benelli's, FN SLP and Versa's. They have all had there issues... no gun is 100% out of the gate. Though I do agree, you get what you pay for... I don't believe the 930 Pro to be bad value at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12