Thread: "Covert" eye pro

Feedback Score

"Covert" eye pro

I'm looking to get my next pair of eyeglasses, and I thought - why not kill two birds with one stone? I need some eye pro for the range anyway. The thing is, they would need to be reasonably discreet. Are there any shooting glasses that don't look like shooting glasses , yet still provide wrap around protection at least ansi z87.1 level? Oh...and they must take prescription lenses, not inserts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My company provides safety glasses for those of us with corrective lenses. My eye doctor offers safety frames and lenses. They usually come with side shields. I get a set every couple of years as a back up to the contacts I normally wear.

Check with your eye doctor and find out what they offer. I'm pretty certain the sports glasses are ANSI rated and the ones I have gotten look pretty normal.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    http://edgeeyewear.com/site_tactical/

I have a pair of the hamel, polarized - http://edgeeyewear.com/site_tactical...php?show=hamel

I think I paid $45 shipped from amazon, I wear them every day and they aren't bad, these are on the bigger size, I might buy a smaller sized pair, something more Oakley-style since these replaced my Minutes.

Some pix I took when I got them last month:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am a police firearms instructor and away from work I don't want to look like LE or a gunslinger so I've always tried to have a set of lo-pro Oakley Rx's

My favorites are Oakley Splices with Root Beer Frames and Bronze Lenses, they are pretty covert - unfortunately Oakley doesn't make them anymore - so these have become my special occasion sunglasses.

Currently for shooting away from work I have a set of Oakley Pitbull Rx's, once again I went with Root Beer and Bronze Lenses, they don't look noticeably tacticool.

I just got a new set of computer glasses, I kind of wish I would have checked out the Oakley Crosslink Sweeps, I think I would have liked them. I mention this because they look like they would sweep enough to be acceptable for shooting glasses and the Oakley promo video featured a golfer and a snowboarder.

They also make the Halff Jackets and Bottle Rockets in Rx available with different frame and lens colors that wouldn't be real obvious.

FWIW
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-26-13 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

I rock the ESS 5Bs.

http://www.esseyepro.com/5B-Series_174_category.html

http://www.esseyepro.com/remember

If you are familiar with the US Standard Issue program the ESS line is now available for the program so you can get Mil/LE discounts.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: "Covert" eye pro

Does Oakley sell the wayfarers style ones on the SI website now? I would get those.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Do you typically order prescription lenses for those glasses from Oakley/ESS etc, or do you go to your regular doctor and say you need ANSI-spec lenses?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox View Post
    Thanks! Do you typically order prescription lenses for those glasses from Oakley/ESS etc, or do you go to your regular doctor and say you need ANSI-spec lenses?
    I order through Oakley - everything I've purchased has been available through standard issue.