Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The 300 Blackout, what's not to like?

Feedback Score
    LarryPhoto
    Well that same bullet Lee 155 gr GC with 16.5 gr Lil'Gun is going 2023 FPS out of my 16" 300 Blk. That's equal to 16" barrel 30-30 150 gr rounds but with the pointy cast bullets alot better energy at 200 yards plus! I have no problem hitting Milk jugs and clays at 250 yards with them. And your right with the current ammo situation reloading is the only way to go if you want to shoot alot. Casting as well. At $.15-.20 per round vs $1-1.50 per factory round its a no brainer!
    Last edited by GunnutAF; 08-05-13 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnutAF View Post
    LarryPhoto
    Well that same bullet Lee 155 gr GC with 16.5 gr Lil'Gun is going 2023 FPS out of my 16" 300 Blk. That's equal to 16" barrel 30-30 150 gr rounds but with the pointy cast bullets alot better energy at 200 yards plus! I have no problem hitting Milk jugs and clays at 250 yards with them. And your right with the current ammo situation reloading is the only way to go if you want to shoot alot. Casting as well. At $.15-.20 per round vs $1-1.50 per factory round its a no brainer!
    I need your load info, my brother uses a pistol magnum powder and we are only getting 1750 from our 16" BLK. Same bullet, made of lead wheel weights, gas check, and VERY accurate. Brother does all the loading, my job is to cut 5.56 cases, lube and size brass, he does rest. I just cut 2500 brass.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lack of ammo. Marginal Accuracy. Price of ammo if you can find it.

Are you posting from rsilvers kitchen?
    Oh lawd, just spit gatorade all over my keyboard

Nowadays, I don't do much shooting for "fun" ...everything has evolved into goal oriented shooting / training.

But I have to say, if you are a reloader ... making .300 blackout ammo without ever buying the factory stuff is ... fun ... IMO.

I have yet to buy a box of .300 AAC blackout factory ammo. It's been hard to find.

No biggie - while it's nice to have at least a reference case from the factory, if you've got 5.56 brass (plentiful), small rifle primers (getting easier to find), and some .30 cal bullets (usually have a bunch on hand anyways), some lil'gun or accurate 1680, and a modest investment in tooling ... shee-it, you've got blackout ammo to tinker with.

I think the 300 aac blackout is a reloader's round. It makes absolutely zero sense to buy factory ammo at nosebleed prices if you can load this cartridge from commonly available components.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I simply break it down like this:

Short range 100y or less I like the 300blk suppressed. It does exact what I want, subsonic.

Longer range over 125 to 400 give me the 5.56 super.

Simple.

Feedback Score

155mm Howitzer

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    You do mean "kicked their butts in part with a light, handy M1 Carbine which was even weaker than their intermediate cartridge", right?
    Sorry guys, the American 155mm Howitzer beat the Germans, the rest was all fluff.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    Oh lawd, just spit gatorade all over my keyboard

Nowadays, I don't do much shooting for "fun" ...everything has evolved into goal oriented shooting / training.

But I have to say, if you are a reloader ... making .300 blackout ammo without ever buying the factory stuff is ... fun ... IMO.

I have yet to buy a box of .300 AAC blackout factory ammo. It's been hard to find.

No biggie - while it's nice to have at least a reference case from the factory, if you've got 5.56 brass (plentiful), small rifle primers (getting easier to find), and some .30 cal bullets (usually have a bunch on hand anyways), some lil'gun or accurate 1680, and a modest investment in tooling ... shee-it, you've got blackout ammo to tinker with.

I think the 300 aac blackout is a reloader's round. It makes absolutely zero sense to buy factory ammo at nosebleed prices if you can load this cartridge from commonly available components.
    Agree 100%

So far all of my 300 blackout ammo has been reloaded. I've had this discussion with many friends that do not reload and would/will/and have always told them to buy a 5.56 AR before even thinking about 300 blackout. Even if you can afford factory ammo, finding 5.56 is a lot easier then trying to find large quantities of 300 blackout.

The 300 BLK is a niche cartridge, but it fits my niche PERFECTLY (FWIW I also have a Glock 20 in 10mm for backpacking). Having a soft shooting SBR that can be suppressed, which isn't as hard on suppressors, and can actually be used for hunting in all states that allow semi autos (many states do not allow anything less than .23 caliber minimum). It also helps that I do a lot of 7.62X51 reloading and being able to share bullets is great for general plinking. Being that I live 200 yards from neighbors I can load up 220 grain subs and shoot suppressed in my backyard without pissing off the neighbors.

For MY NICHE:
    0-200 yards: I would take a 9 inch suppressed 300 blackout all day long
    200-800 yards: I am grabbing a 7.62x51
    800+ yards: 300 RUM
    Backyard Plinking: 300 BLK in 220 grain subs.
    Carbine class: I would take a 5.56 just for the cheaper ammo
    Home Defense: 300 BLK
    "Bugout scenario via car": 300 BLK in hand with a 7.62x51 nearby, 5.56 upper packed away.
    "Bugout scenario on foot": 7.62x51
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678