Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 300 Blackout, what's not to like?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm not convinced. I met a dude who took five rounds of 7.62x39 and lived to tell the tale. This round has even less dsriking energy.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score

Talking

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=13678066

I better upgrade to a tactical nuke.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I'm not convinced. I met a dude who took five rounds of 7.62x39 and lived to tell the tale. This round has even less dsriking energy.
    And peopke get killed by 22lr all the time so whats your point? Better start carrying a grenade or rocket launcher.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lack of ammo. Marginal Accuracy. Price of ammo if you can find it.

Are you posting from rsilvers kitchen?
    My 300 Blk has never fired a round of factory ammo. My Pmags are overflowing with 300 Blackout, Barnes 110 TTSX, Nosler 125 BT, Sierra 125 Pro hunter, Hornady 130 JSP. Talk about accurate, right now it's about a toss up between my $200 AR Stoner Blk barrel and my WOA .223 Wylde barrel. Both are sub moa.

P.S. I never would have thought it would take MarkM so long to jump in on a 300 BLK thread. You're slippin pal
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 06-29-13 at 05:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    It's all about bullet design. The M43 bullet is not a spectacular performer. Larry Vickers performed a non-scientific test on Tac-TV comparing the 300 BLK, AK, and 5.56. The AK firing the M43 bullet was pretty underwhelming when compared to the 300 BLK. Actually the Blackout has more energy beyond 100 yards than the 7.62x39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=13678066

I better upgrade to a tactical nuke.
    Sounds like he ate at the Camp Schwab chow hall in Oki.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
    I understand the draw of the 300 blackout if one plans to suppress it and shoot subs. But for those only interested in supersonic loads, wouldn't something like the 7.62x40 WT make more sense?

I don't own either and don't plan on it in the foreseeable future, but I have wondered about this for a while. Is it just because the popularity of the blackout exceeds that of the WT and there are more options available, or are there issues with the WT?
    In supersonic loadings, the two cartridges are like the 270 and the 280, the .243 Winchester and the 6mm Remington, or the 30-30 and the 32 Special.

The winner will be the one with the better logistical support.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    That's it exactly.

I love the 300BLK round. I jumped on the bandwagon early 2012.

Put a 9" AAC 300blk barrel on my DD SBR; sold my 5.56 noveske barrel. I applied for a 762-SDN-6 suppressor tax stamp. While waiting for the can stamp to come in, I had a blast shooting my new round. Shot supers and subs without problems other than feeling a rubber o-ring on my extractor spring made my gun 100% reliable rather than 95% reliable. I shot a 250-300lb hog with 300 whisper and the round performed beautifully. Even found a store in Houston who claimed they were THE 300 blackout store in the area. All is well. Although I only had a mere 1000 rounds through the gun.

Then bam, madness hits, and I've been sitting on 500 rounds since. can't find any ammo that I'm willing to buy. Haven't been able to shoot suppressed yet and am considering making another 5.56 upper to sit on my DD SBR lower just so I get to use it. I hope things straighten back out because I was singing gloriously about the 300 blackout otherwise.
    Who is THE 300BLK store in Houston?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lack of ammo. Marginal Accuracy. Price of ammo if you can find it.

Are you posting from rsilvers kitchen?
    Marginal accuracy...how do you define this? I get 2.5-3" groups with a rds and using my mag as a monopod firing m193 at 100. It's a carbine, not a DMR. If the bullets hit inside the dot, even accounting for my human error, its more than good enough. I have not been able to take possession of my 300blk yet as nfa paperwork is taking time, so I ask...what issue specifically have you observed, as I cannot comment yet from a standpoint of personal experience.

Expensive ammo...I am buying 110gr black tip for $1.50/rd. Last time I bought 5.56 brown tip it cost me $1/ea in case quantity. Yes, it costs more. It's also nearly 200% more copper. Get what you pay for, imo, on that front.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The winner will be the one with the better logistical support.
    AKA: the VHS "Market Mediocrity" rule...

Cheaper and more available is "better" than better as far as market success is concerned.

Then again, I moved from 270 to 280 years ago.

300BLK does not fill a need for me, and it still bothers me a bit that it's the whisper renamed. (Understand the whole JDJ history).

If I wanted max suppressed performance it'd be more interesting. But for my non-standard caliber Grendel meets more of my needs.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast