Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Best .45 under $1,000?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    About the same as everything else in their present lineup. They look terrific and, well ... they look terrific. Not a gun that any serious student of the 1911 is likely to recommend with any conviction, however.

The easiest way to separate the front runners from the also-rans is to look at what constitutes an acceptable "base gun" for a truly-competent 1911 pistolsmith. All will work on a Colt. Most all will work on a Springfield. Most will work on a Kimber. Some will work on a Smtih & Wesson. Very few want to touch much of anything else.

AC
    Spoke with my Gunsmith about a good base 1911 to build up. Given local State regulations my choice is limited. He know Chuck Rogers well and said they agree that the Ruger SR1911 isn't a bad gun to build off. Still, if I can get one, Colt is my preference.
    Last edited by Cagemonkey; 08-11-13 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Hadn't really considered state-to-state availability issues, but it sounds like you're on the right track. I am not terribly familiar with the SR1911 as a stand-alone or base gun option, but you're definitely asking the right folks. Good update, thanks.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply and opinion. I have a Colt Gold Cup National Match. My only 1911 and was looking to add something else. Not sure if I want to spend $1000 or $2000 plus. I could get either but was thinking of the $1000 gun and have fun with some mods for it and see what work and doesn't and what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    About the same as everything else in their present lineup. They look terrific and, well ... they look terrific. Not a gun that any serious student of the 1911 is likely to recommend with any conviction, however.

The easiest way to separate the front runners from the also-rans is to look at what constitutes an acceptable "base gun" for a truly-competent 1911 pistolsmith. All will work on a Colt. Most all will work on a Springfield. Most will work on a Kimber. Some will work on a Smtih & Wesson. Very few want to touch much of anything else.

AC

Feedback Score
    I don't really know, but given Ruger owns Pinetree Casting, Caspian gets their frames and slides made there, and the SR1911 has the plunger tube casted as part of the frame like Caspian does, I think it's a safe assumption the two frames are the same and therefore the Ruger has a quality frame. A lot of assumptions I know, but it makes sense to me.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789