Thread: Anybody shooting AR-Comp with 75 gr. bullets?

Feedback Score

Anybody shooting AR-Comp with 75 gr. bullets?

Like most of us, I've been having trouble finding powder for reloading in the last 6 months or so. I had a fairly decent stock of my beloved H-4895 until just recently when I got down to my last 1/2 pound and decided it was time to procure some more. Well... at all the local shops, all I could score in the AR world is BLC-2, and AR-Comp. Since I don't have a progressive press and like to hand-trickle every charge (a bit of overkill, I know), I went with AR-Comp for the first time.

I am awfully fond of the 75 gr. Hornady BTHP with just over 23 gr. of H-4895, but alas no H-4895 was to be found, so, I went with AR-Comp. As mentioned before, extruded powders don't intimidate me since I hand-trickle each charge. On the Alliant's website, the max charge was 22.9 gr with 75 gr. bullets. As usual, I reduced 10% (20.6 gr.) and loaded five rounds every few tenths of a grain till max. I'm shooting a 16" with a carbine-length gas system (LE Carbine 6920). I haven't taken it to the range yet, I'm just curious what loads you have found most accurate with a similar set-up? I'll be sure to add a range report once I take her out with the new powder/bullet combo.

Just for reference, I have CCI 400 and BR-4 primers at my disposal as well as an assortment of Lake City brass (05-09) and some once-fired Winchester .223 brass.
    Last edited by goodoleboy; 06-26-13 at 19:42.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    Lots of data for it in the new Hornady book. I'm looking forward to using it as well. Interested in what everyone has to say.

Feedback Score
    31 (97%)
    Sorry, I can't answer the question. But I wanted to add to it. How about Alliant's 2000-MR and 1200 -R for 223 rounds through an AR? Does that powder work for through a semi auto? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weg111 View Post
    Sorry, I can't answer the question. But I wanted to add to it. How about Alliant's 2000-MR and 1200 -R for 223 rounds through an AR? Does that powder work for through a semi auto? Thanks
    Find your powder on this chart and see if it's around other popular AR powders that you know are good for whatever weight bullets you're using.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    I've been using AR-Comp since it first came out and its my go-to powder for 77's.

First, keep in mind that the 75 load data you see is for the A-Max bullet, not the BTHP. You should look at the SMK 77 data that lists a max of 22.1.

I load mine to 22 grains and it shoots the 77's great. The powder is a little faster than RL15 and velocity is a little slower, but it is more accurate for me.

edit: I've run the 77 Nosler's up to 22.6. I had to stop there due to pressure and I did load up to 22.8 and didn't feel at all comfortable shooting that load and will pull those down. This was in a BCM 5.56 16" middy barrel.
    Last edited by WC 2-3; 06-29-13 at 01:08.