Thread: Colt revolver question

Feedback Score

Colt revolver question

I would like to ask the Colt revolver experts out there; does the Lawman MkIII suffer from the same timing issues I have read about? I have heard about timing issues with the Python and other older designs.
    Thanks,

Feedback Score
    The Python can be more apt to getting out of time than some more modern designs. To me, this is more than compensated for by other aspects of the revolver and its overall quality.

The MKIII has a different action than the Python, Detective Special, Official Police et al..

I have not heard any reports of a MKIII action being more prone to getting out of time or having any other peculiarities. The major action components on these revolvers are made of sintered metal and do not respond well to polishing or dimensional alterations. If someone has attempted an action job on a MKIII action -- all bets are off. If the action remains unaltered, then you have a good, very serviceable piece.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Croesus,
    This one has been 'smithed. So it is off the list.

Feedback Score
    I have a Lawman MKIII and it has never gone out of time like my Python has. Here are both together.

MadDog

Last edited by MadDog; 07-12-13 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 19852 View Post
    I would like to ask the Colt revolver experts out there; does the Lawman MkIII suffer from the same timing issues I have read about? I have heard about timing issues with the Python and other older designs.
    Thanks,
    Different action than Python, none of the problems.
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a Colt Detective Special sirca 1960-70 and love it. I have never experienced any problems with it. Like the others said different action.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Croesus View Post
    The Python can be more apt to getting out of time than some more modern designs. To me, this is more than compensated for by other aspects of the revolver and its overall quality.

The MKIII has a different action than the Python, Detective Special, Official Police et al..

I have not heard any reports of a MKIII action being more prone to getting out of time or having any other peculiarities. The major action components on these revolvers are made of sintered metal and do not respond well to polishing or dimensional alterations. If someone has attempted an action job on a MKIII action -- all bets are off. If the action remains unaltered, then you have a good, very serviceable piece.
    That's pretty much what I gathered from Bill Loughridge at Cylinder & Slide regarding the Mk III, MV and King Cobra lined. I believe that the MK V Lawman, Trooper and King Cobra ( and other MV and subsequent Colts with MK V action/lockwork) replaced the sintered components with harder ones-perhaps investment cast-eliminating the spectre of timing/parts failure issues inherent to the Mk IIIs. However, due to the conmponent hardening limitations, as you stated, other than through judicious spring replacement/adjustment, action jobs involviing component polishing tend to be a "fail." (or a "fail" waiting to happen...)

I had a beautifully executed Lawman Mk V with a 4" bbl; the finish was magnificent (especially since it was Colt's entry level DA LEO revolver in its time), but I wasn't particularly excited with how the tip of the trigger tended to drag on the inside of the triggerguard (despite a competant gunsmith's ministrations), the nylon piece integral to the cylinder release (which I perhaps unfairly categorized as a component degradation waiting to happen), and how the hammer partially blocked the sights during a portion of the firing sequence. Mine was sold to a collector, and is reportedly in a museum.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The trooper is a tank. I really love my 4in blue with combat grips.